Help think I been sold the wrong item - firewire

mygreyned1 22:41 28 May 08

Help think I been sold the wrong item

Hiya I have recently bought a sansung camcorder and it wasn't until after realised that I did not have a firewire facilities on my computer - although it is only three months old. I went to pc world where I bought the computer and was sold an Belkin Firewire PCI Card - but I have plug in the cable to bouth pc and camcorder but it doesn't work. According to the instruction book with the card I do not need a driver because I am using XP can anyone help me - in easy layman terms please - or is it just that I have got the wrong card.

Technotiger 22:47 28 May 08

Check that your Camcorder is in PC Mode. I doubt whether you have the wrong cable.

mygreyned1 23:10 28 May 08

No I don't think its the wrong cable but the wrong card

MCE2K5 01:07 29 May 08

As Liza said in click here You Need Software.

MCE2K5 01:35 29 May 08

Option

1. Windows Movie Maker (Included with XP & Vista) FREE.

2. Pinnacle Studio 11(3 Versions)1st Standard click here
£39.99, 2nd Plus click here
£69.99, 3rd Ultimate click here £89.99, or if you have an older version (7 through 10) of Pinnacle Studio, You can buy click here
11 Plus Upgrade for £28.10 inc. P&P.

3. click here Ulead VideoStudio 11 £39.99 or click here 11.5 Plus £59.98

4. click here Free FULL version download, WinAVI Video Capture v2.0, At the bottom of the linked page, Will Capture your Video via Firewire, But it will NOT Edit it, Use Option 1 for that.

€dstowe 06:36 29 May 08

Wasn't there software supplied with the camcorder?

Stuartli 09:27 29 May 08

Don't use Firewire, but aren't there two types of cable, four pin and six pin (latter from Sony)?

mygreyned1 23:23 30 May 08

Hi everyone and thanks for your advise but I already use movie maker - its just not registering that I have put new hardware in the pc. Will probably have to go back into PC World - they call themselves Techguys - joke or what.

skidzy 08:40 31 May 08

What does device manager say ?

Windows key + Pausebreak / Hardware / Device Manager

Look under;

IE1394 Bus Host Controller
Expand the + sign and right click what is shown and select properties.

Under General this will say if the device is working ok and its location.

You may see a yellow exclaimation mark,if so post back.

From Device manager you can also update the driver.

mygreyned1 15:35 05 Jun 08

when into system and devise manager and this what is showed
IE1394 Bus Host Controller
-Texas Instruments OHCI complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller
-Texas Instruments OHCI complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Does this mean it is recognising the card I have put in - or do i have to do something else. It may end in me taking the pc back to pcworld to sort out - money i don't really want to spend.

So help help but in layman terms please

Ditch999 17:37 05 Jun 08

Your card seems to be working OK if there are no yellow or red symbols beside the above entries.
If you double click on one of the -Texas Instruments OHCI complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller entries it will tell you the status of the device.
It might be the cable is defective or there is a setting in the camera which you have to enable for PC transfer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced