help with telewest webstar modem

swelly 13:42 13 Feb 06

I have a telewest webstar modem, I am trying to set up a wireless connection with my laptop, I have purchased the router that is recommended for telewest (Netgear WGR614), however the connections are different, the connections for the router are like telephone socket connections, but the one for the modem is a small square socket and a USB connection, it doesn't work either if you use the ethernet connections - I am assuming that my modem is now very old, but I still need some help as I cannot get it working at all, it is costing me a fortune in purchasing the wrong peices that so called experts at PC world tell me I need than when I get home I don't nee them at all. Some one out ther must be able to help me - thanks Sian

De Marcus™ 14:09 13 Feb 06

The webstar modem should be fine, you'll find you need to plug the supplied Ethernet cable (from the netgear box) into the modem and from the modem into the WAN slot on the router (the one closest to the aerial), that's it as far as plugging cables in goes. However, to set the router up and get a working connection you'll need to plug another Ethernet cable into the lan port on your laptop and the router (any spare slot), this will give you direct access to the router whereby you can configure it for wireless access, something you can't do wirelessly.

keewaa 14:23 13 Feb 06

Yes, ignore the wireless side of things until you get it working 100% by a wired connection from laptop to WGR614. Here the manual for the WGR614v6 if you don't already have it
click here

swelly 10:11 16 Feb 06

I have now successfully managed to sort out my wireless internet for the laptop, using NetgearWGR614v6 - however can anyone help me witht he security side? - I have been told that MAC Address is probably the best one, but I would need a step by step guide to sort this - thanks guys for the successful answers last time, can anyone help this time?

keewaa 10:37 16 Feb 06

You can't beat good strong WPA security, everything else is secondary and arguably useless in providing "security" as opposed to "hiding".

WPA random password generator can be found here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac