help with suspect virus

edd78 20:39 PM 07 Nov 11

dona scan using malwarebytes the scan say's that i have infected files on laptop then ran a scan with my security provider norton using there power eraser tool and came back clean so dont know who to believe

Nontek 20:44 PM 07 Nov 11

I would go with Malwarebytes and run a full scan after updating Malwarebytes.

edd78 20:54 PM 07 Nov 11

can i update malwarebytes even though i have the free version

Sea Urchin 21:09 PM 07 Nov 11

Not only can you update Malwarebytes - you should always update it before you run a scan. They have at least one update of the database each hour.

lotvic 21:10 PM 07 Nov 11

Did you make a note of the name of the infection? There is the slight possibility that it may have been a false positive by malwarebytes and you ought to check it out.

Yes you can update free malwarebytes, you should have been doing that regularly.

In the 'Settings' tab I have mine set to warn me if database is outdated by 7 days.

lotvic 21:12 PM 07 Nov 11

Sea Urchin, I'd better alter my 7 days to a lot less, didn't realise they updated database so often. Duly noted :)

Sea Urchin 21:33 PM 07 Nov 11

It is possible to set up a scheduled task to auto update the free version of Malwarebytes - this is how to set it up for either XP or Vista (W7).

Auto Update

Or there is an App called SMBAM which (again using scheduled tasks) which will auto update and then run a quick scan. I've never tried the latter myself, but it looks promising.

Auto Update and Scan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…