Help with Suse Linux please?

Jakey boy 08:36 24 Dec 05

Hi guys, I've been missing for a while, (ill health among other things) but I now have a PC with Suse Linux 9.3 installed, and I have no idea how to connect to the internet with it!! I have a USB (Origo/conexant) modem attatched, but linux doesn't seem to know it's there! This is all very new to me and I'd appreciate any help at all. Thanks in advance.

Chegs ®™ 08:49 24 Dec 05

I gave up trying to get my Suse install to use a USB ADSL router and switched to RJ45("normal" NIC connector)instead,then Suse can autoconfigure the connection details with DHCP.I will have a look thru google to see if a USB connection needs any extra commands to use it.

Found this ...

USB modem or ISDN Fritz box
The module acm is needed for establishing a connection by means of a USB modem or another communication device.

This module can be manually loaded by entering in the console as root user:

modprobe acm

Any use?

Chegs ®™ 08:50 24 Dec 05

click here Forgot the link. ;-))

Jakey boy 11:42 24 Dec 05

Thanks for at least answering me Chegs ®™, but I have actually no idea at all how or where to insert these commands. I don't have the first clue when it comes to Linux. I probably need starters assistance. :-)

Chegs ®™ 12:52 24 Dec 05

You need to launch a terminal(command prompt)login as root user and then run the commands from there.

Here's an extremely useful beginners guide to linux which although basic,deals with the probs of installing software.I use it frequently.

click here

Jakey boy 16:07 24 Dec 05

I will check this out over xmas. I thank you very much and wish you seasons greetings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…