Help and Support fails to open

tallboy 22:37 18 Jul 09

Following a suspected corrupt Master Boot Record, I have just completed a Windows XP Repair install.

Most things I have checked so far appear to work; however, when I click on the Help and Support function (from the Start tab) I just get a flick of the mouse pointer and nothing else. This means of course that I am unable to set Restore Points as well as accessing Microsoft's Help pages.

How do I restore this function to normal operation?

rdave13 22:36 18 Jul 09

System file checker?

rdave13 22:37 18 Jul 09

Oops my posting to this thread is err wrong.

rdave13 22:43 18 Jul 09

As posted further above try sfc /scannow.

rdave13 22:53 18 Jul 09

Apology for what has happened. Suspect my ISP has problems with time settings since PCA have moved to better servers. That's all I can think of what's happened here.

Technotiger 23:02 18 Jul 09

Have you tried via Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore ....?

VoG II 23:02 18 Jul 09

Amazing !!!

tallboy click here

rdave13 23:12 18 Jul 09

You may scoff but it takes thousands of years to read a minute of the future.
Yes ..I'm an alien who can predict sixty seconds of future.
The proof is here.
I'm going to do the lottery at 19:29 come wednesday.
tallboy, sorry for the bit of fun and unwanted email prompts.

tallboy 09:04 19 Jul 09

Thanks for the reply technotiger. Following your suggestion I tried Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and whilst I got further than when I hit the Help & Support button, I was unable to enter a title for the Restore Point.

At the time, I had not re-activate Win XP as I have also had trouble trying to re-activate it. (When I clicked on the keys to re-activate, all I got was a flicker from the mouse pointer. Thinking that the modem was not working (Microsoft activation defaults to the modem port) I removed the modem, re-started the PC and tried again - still no re-activation activity. I was also aware that in the absence of a modem, MS use an http address for re-activatation. With my broadband connection working OK, I started up Firefox - that worked OK. However, IE8 was not working following the Repair Install. I re-installed IE8 and hey-presto, I was able to re-activate XP and also access the Help facility (including the Restore function) in the normal way.

So much for MS XP Repair re-installing Microsoft applications!

Technotiger 09:12 19 Jul 09

Glad you have it sorted - thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now