Help, suggestions, and advice for upgrading my rig's CPU

erickkasecamp 16:16 PM 16 Feb 13

Hello,

I have built my own gaming PC.

I'm semi-knowledgeable when it comes to PC repair/upgrades and general knowledge regarding PCs. Anyhow, I have never ventured into the realm of processor upgrades. My rig is mainly used for gaming, and I'm obsessed with ultra graphics tweaking and settings. My current set up is:

Operating System:      Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Central Processor:     AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor

Video Card:            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Video Memory:      1.25 GB

Hard Drive:            1 TB
RAM:                   6GB DIMM 64 Bit
                       1333 MHZ

The nitty-gritty of my current cpu is:

CPU Name       AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
Code Name      Model 5, Stepping 3
Manufacturer       AuthenticAMD
Current Clock Speed    3000 Mhz
Max Clock Speed    3000 Mhz
Voltage    1.5V
External Clock     200 Mhz

CPU ID: AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3 Socket Designation: CPU 1

As for the motherboard:

Motherboard Model 2AB1 Manufacturer FOXCONN BIOS Name BIOS Date: 09/07/10 08:41:32 Ver: 6.04 BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc. SMBIOS Version 6.04 BIOS Date 9/7/2010

Anyhow, my question:

I figured the best way to beef up my rig is to go with a new processor as its probably about the weakest part of my rig. A new motherboard or more RAM is also a possibility if you think it would be necessary. I'm trying to hover within or around the 500$ range, but I'm flexible. What would be a good processor that would fit my motherboard and offer a decent upgrade in processing power?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 review: Why the new Start menu, Edge browser, new apps and Cortana make Windows 10 the…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Help Dan Rubin curate galleries of Adobe Stock images – and you could win a year's Creative Cloud

iPhone 6c release date rumours and images | Expect iPhone 6c to be Apple Pay ready