HELP for a student

Jade 14 G 16:59 23 Dec 06

My son is of to uni and we have got him a laptop but broardband is not on were he is going but he is not bothered and wants to use dial up as he can afford that.
IHAVE BEEN CHECKING AND NOTHING IS IN PLAIN ENGLISH, THERE IS TAMESIDE SAYING YOU JUST PAY THE PRICE OF A 0845 CALL. THEN YAHOO BT INTERNET SAYING, sorry about caps just worn out.
Again yahoo btinternet there title is £15.99 a month then underneath it is saing no internet charges just cost 1p a minute.
Can you help me in the middle of cristmas also have just got a rubber wasable keyboard that rolls up and its great, a lot easier on hands but got to get onther as l want one now, from gazoo

Gongoozler 17:09 23 Dec 06

Hi Jade 14 G. Most ISPs will offer dial-up Internet access either at 1p a minute or at something like £15 a month flat rate with nothing else to pay for the calls, e.g. click here. Which of these is best for your son depends on how much use he wants to make of the internet. 1599 minutes is a lot of time on the Internet, but does have the advantage that he won't be watching the clock all the time he's online. The other point to remember with dial-up is that all the time he's on line the telephone will be unusable for anything else, so something like BT Answer would be a good idea.

Gongoozler 17:11 23 Dec 06

... I should have said that 1p a minute is the off-peak rate, usually from 6pm until 6am. Daytime rates are much higher, generally the same, of almost the same as BT local call rates. The flat rate generally applies 24 hours a day.

Jade 14 G 18:10 23 Dec 06

What he was thinking was that he was going to get the same as me £8.99 but l get that as have been with them for 6 years but thanks fot that and l think the £15 will be the best as he will be on it a lot like l am but what Thames were on about just the cost of a 0845 tel number l just dont know.
Thanks a lot.
Have aother problem of my own comng up so you maybe could help with that.

Jackcoms 18:11 23 Dec 06

"but broardband is not on were he is going"

How do you know?

Have you checked at click here

rodriguez 18:23 23 Dec 06

If he's not going to use it a lot, pay-as-you-go is probably better. It will charge local rate for the 0845 call, which is about 1p a minute evening and weekends and 3p a minute during weekdays I think. If he's going to use it more, he can sign up for a monthly fee and they will give him a free 0800 or 0808 number to dial with a username and password. If he wants to get online straight away, he can use 1-2-Free for pay-as-you-go dial up (which I used when my broadband changed over and I was without it for a few days). He just needs to set up a new dial up connection with the following:

Dial Up Number: 0845 088 4191
Username: isp@dialup
Password: connect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple