Help, Spyware Protection?

ferrispedro 10:39 15 Jun 07

I have started getting these little boxes appear labelled Spyware Protection and saying "We have found and blocked HotBar"What is HotBar?Also lately IE appears with an Gambling advert or suchlike when my default browser is Firefox. Peter.

brundle 10:46 15 Jun 07

Are you using AOL? A bit of info on your system would help, version of Windows, ISP etc

ferrispedro 10:49 15 Jun 07

Sorry, using Win XP Pro sp2 and AOL, Peter.

johnnyrocker 10:50 15 Jun 07

hot bar should appear in add remove progs in control panel.

johnny.

brundle 10:52 15 Jun 07

AOL spyware protection is picking up a problem, something else may have got into your system and is trying to download and install it.

Try AVG Antispyware, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D from here, install, update, scan. click here

Andy1991 10:57 15 Jun 07

Try going into internet options and then the "Programs" tab, then select "Manage Add-ons", and disable HotBar, by selecting it and selecting disable. restart your browser to take effect.

brundle 10:58 15 Jun 07

Spywareblaster just needs updating, click Apply Protection, you don't need it running all the time.

ferrispedro 11:00 15 Jun 07

No Hotbar in add/remove progs,IE Just popped up again with a Registry Defender ad,Says underneath "This ad is served by SpamBlocker Utility.com Does this mean anything to you?

ferrispedro 11:06 15 Jun 07

Andy there is no Hotbar in Manage Add-ons.

brundle 11:08 15 Jun 07

Run the scans, you have spyware

Andy1991 11:57 15 Jun 07

sorry, i don't know hotbar, i thought i was some kind of add on for internet explorer, is it, if it is it will almost certainly be in there, may be just listed as something else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced