HELP!! Spyware Infestation

mas61 11:51 04 Jun 05

Please help. I have recently been swamped by spyware and adware.

This stuff is really persistent and I cannot get rid of it.

I have already run Microsoft Antispyware, Spybot and Adaware (latest versions) on all users and in safe mode, but as soon as I reboot the computer and connect to the internet this stuff reinstalls itself.

Here is a list of what MS Antispyware has found:

WinTools (HuntBar)
IST.XXXToolbar
WindUpdates.MediaAccess
AvenueMedia.uCA
eXact.BargainBuddy
180search Assistant
IBIS Toolbar
ShopAtHome
Unclassified.Spyware.57 (?)
eXact.Downloader
WindUpdates
KaZaA
IST.ISTbar.ContentMatchControl
IST.SlotchBar
IST.ISTbar
MoneyTree
CoolWebSearch
IEPlugin
eXact.Cashback
Xrenoder

I have no idea how this stuff got on my laptop and have tried advice from other threads, but nothing has worked.
I also have Google toolbar (dunno if this is relevant).

Could someone please help me?
Cheers
Andy

BH34 12:13 04 Jun 05

Try here click here

Alan H E 12:17 04 Jun 05

I think you need to disable restore points before scanning & reenable afterwards. Scan in safe mode as before.
Also look in add/remove programs & see if anything lurking there.
I don't run XP so others will give advice on restore points if necessary.

zemdarin 12:55 04 Jun 05

Hi
If you need advice on how to turn off system restore to get rid click here of adware and viruses. I don't know what Antivirus you use. Avast Antivirus is free and excellent. Once installed you can run a boot scan and that is also a free download on my web site.

zemdarin 12:58 04 Jun 05

Sorry that last link doesn't work try again click here

Major Disaster 13:46 04 Jun 05

Try looking to see what is running at startup, see if you can disable it from there. MS Antispayware allows you to do this (advanced tools, system explorer, start up programmes) see if you recognise any nasties and then disable them. Also start, run, msconfig does the same thing.

SANTOS7 13:54 04 Jun 05

click here

click here

Two very useful tools which will go a long way to helping,download the standalone version of CWShredder from the second link that will take care of most of your unwanted toolbar probs

Nellie2 14:22 04 Jun 05

Huntbar removal tool click here

Istbar removal tool click here (although there are some very sticky variants of Ist and that tool may not work.

To get rid of Shopathome there is an uninstaller available click here

However those links will only deal with a few of the problems that you have, you have a fair infestation there which may be an indication of something else... if you would like to follow the link that BH34 gave you and post in the security issues forum then I will do what I can to help

mas61 14:46 04 Jun 05

Thanks,
I'll try those tools and will post in the forum soon

mas61 18:27 04 Jun 05

Thanks Nellie2, I've managed to get rid of most of those buggers with those tools and repeated spybot/adaware etc. applications.
They're gone - for now....

Nellie2 19:16 04 Jun 05

well you know where to find me if you have further problems... glad it is sorted though!

ps... sometimes adaware and spybot can be a little more effective if run in safe mode!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…