Help with split drive

Dazwm 19:20 14 Sep 03

I have my hardrive split in two with ME on 'c' and XP Pro on 'd'. The only trouble is that when I am on XP I can see and use all the programs that are on 'c' which I want to keep private because other people have access to it. How do I do this and why when I am using ME on 'c' you can't see things on 'd'?

leo49 19:56 14 Sep 03

Presumably you're using the Windows boot-loader - if you had used BootMagic or similar the non-active drive would have been hidden.

Probably the case that you're using the NTFS file system on XP which 9x Os's can't "see", but NTFS can "see" 9x.

Dazwm 19:58 14 Sep 03

Thanks leo49 but where do I go from here?

LastChip 20:06 14 Sep 03

I think what may have happened, is when you installed XP, it defaulted to formatting your "D" drive as NTFS.

ME cannot read files formatted this way, which is why you cannot see "D" from "C"!

However, the reverse is not true, and XP can read files formatted as FAT32, the likely format of your "C" drive.

I don't know of a way to "hide" your "C" drive, other than to use third party software.

I am also not sure exactly what you mean by not wanting others to use your programs. Are you referring generally to files, or to applications, as there is conceivably a way around protecting your files from others when in XP.

If you establish a "User Account" and place all the files you do not want others to access within that account, you can then password protect it, and it will become difficult for others to access those files. (Nothing of course is impossible!) But to all but the most determined with a lot of time on their hands, it's a pretty safe option. Security is considerably better in XP, than it was in Win9x.

leo49 20:16 14 Sep 03

"where do I go from here?"

This'll sound harsh but I suggest you do what I suggested when you asked about dualbooting last Sunday:

"There are a couple of different ways to dualboot - using a 3rd party Bootmanager like Bootmagic or the Windows Bootloader in XP.The one you choose will determine how your drives are arranged and their VISIBILITY.

It's very easy to accomplish with Partition/Boot Magic or Windows but I would advise you not to rush into it without doing some research by searching Dualboot in Google and understanding the mechanism and the consequences of each method."

Then work out exactly what you wish to achieve by dualbooting - this may determine the method you use - and start again.

leo49 20:57 14 Sep 03

I know that sounded pompous - but don't be put off. Come back with a plan of what you want to achieve and I and others will gladly help you do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…