Help with Speakers

I have bought some 5.1 speakers but I can't get them to work. I seem to have more leads than I know what to do with. One lead has a green connector which I am sure goes in the computer with a grey and red connector which should go in the back of the sub. I have two other leads one with an orange connector and red and grey the other end and one black with grey and red the other end. What do I do with these!!?? Please help!!

Dorsai 19:39 25 Nov 04

The sound card connectors are hopefully colour coded too. And, hopefully, using the same code.

Are you sure that your card supports 5.1 sound though? If not, the colour code wont really help, as it may be different.

My 4.1 system has 2 plugs, green and black, that go into the sound card (they are front and rear, but not perhaps in that order)

These go from the sub(woofer) to the sound card. The satalite speakers all plug into the back of the sub.

The plugs on the back of the sub are labeled front right, rear right etc. It's just a case of putting the satalite speaker in the position the label on the sub says for the plug the satalite speaker is plugged in to.

hope this helps.

Jackcoms 19:41 25 Nov 04

Why not go back to whoever sold you the speakers and ask for the instruction book?

Carpigiani 19:48 25 Nov 04

Post make & model of speakers + make & model of sound card.
Or do a google search, hopefully manuals will be available on maufacturers website.

I have a manual but I don't really understand it. My motherboard is reasonably new (came with soundcard) so I would have thought it would support 5.1.

Carpigiani 19:55 25 Nov 04

Onboard sound? Make & model of motherboard please.

I believe my soundcard is a VIA AC'97 Ehhanced Audio (WAVE). The speakers are Tevion Active 5.1 Surround Sound.

Motherboard is an ASROCK K7VT2

Djohn 20:04 25 Nov 04

Most 5.1 systems [Not all] have the five satellites connected to the sub unit, the wiring connections for these should be easy enough to figure out [email protected] May even be marked on the back of the sub unit.

This should leave you with 3 wires to go to the soundcard at the rear of the tower.

Green one goes to the green connection as normal and the other two will fit into sockets 1 & 5 [There should be 5 sockets on the sound card]

Without knowing which is which just try both ways, it will not harm the card or speakers, just won't sound right.

I only have 3 sockets on the back of the compueter. One green, one blue and one pink (mic).

Carpigiani 20:19 25 Nov 04

Looks like your motherboard only supports 2 channel audio. Soundblaster 5.1 cards are relatively cheap these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…