help with some alevel i.t work

Young Ranger 21:26 05 Nov 03

Hi im on my dads account and i could do with some help with some a level i.t work. Im doing a list of definitions of hardware etc. Ive spent ages on it so far, but could anyone give me a definiton of these:
Rotation Speed (relating to disc drive storage systems) Colour mode (bits)(relating to printers, plotters and VDUs) Scan Frequency (same as above) RJ Series (relating to connector plugs and sockets) DB series (same as above)

googles been a great help up until now! lol Thanks!

GrahamP 21:56 05 Nov 03

Hard drive rotation speed eg 7200rpm = number of revolutions per minute

Colour mode originally stated number of colours available eg 256 colours, more commonly number of bits used to store the colour information for each pixel eg 16 bit colour can display 65,356 colours (2 to the power of 16)

Scan frequency in relation to monitors is the number of times per second the electron guns write the entire screen and is expressed in Hz (hertz) eg 70Hz is 70 times per second.

RJ = registered jack and generally describes communications connectors eg RJ11 is the little one used on telephones, RJ45 the bigger one used in networking

DB = D shell connectors (no idea what the B stands for - anyone?)ie the pins are surrounded by a trapezoid metal case (one side shorter than the other) to prevent improper connection. Used for serial, parallel, video and other connections.

You'll learn more if you look these things up - is a good place to start. Any good pc maintenance book should help.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:32 05 Nov 03

I shall grass you up to your lecturers. ;-))

powerless 23:34 05 Nov 03
  Young Ranger 00:31 06 Nov 03

I must remind her about saying thank you.

No need to grass her up - I'll do that :)

SGT BARNES 00:44 06 Nov 03

well at least she could get an A+ with honors for resourcefulness at least

Starfox 01:52 06 Nov 03

You ought to keep off that grass you know gandalf.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…