help with software - please!

bearpot 12:41 30 Oct 04

I built my own PC and hardware wise everything is fine. But when it came to loading on Winodws 98 the setup went well but when i restarted to finalize the installation it said "while initialinzing NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer" What is this? and how do i repair it. I am at a total loss and because when i restart i can only start up in safe mode. So then i have no cd-rom drivers so i cannot install my drivers. Please help!!!!

SANTOS7 12:50 30 Oct 04

Found this it may help..

Question
While reloading Win98 to my computer, a message appears on the screen which I don't understand, nor do I know how to fix the problem whatever it might be.--Here is the message exactly:

"While initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error.-You need to restart your computer."

After numerous times of restarting my computer, the message still appears and prevents me from continueing the installation of Win98.--Any help appreciated, please simplify answers I am 90 years of age. --Thank You

Answer
Howdy:

NDIS is associated with networking, if you have a NIC, remove it, if you have any external devices (printers, scanners...) connected, remove. format, re-try.

bearpot 13:20 30 Oct 04

SANTOS7 - what is a NIC - sorry, bit of a novice:)

SANTOS7 13:28 30 Oct 04

(network interface card)

bearpot 13:33 30 Oct 04

my motherboard has a network socket in it, can i disable it in windows 98 safe mode?

woodchip 14:13 30 Oct 04

No I think your CPU needs a better fan, Done it that many times I have got used to all the quirks

woodchip 14:19 30 Oct 04

Disable onboard network socket in the BIOS setup, when starting computer it will tell you on screen what to press as it's starting

bearpot 14:21 30 Oct 04

thanks woodchip, i'll try it

SANTOS7 14:35 30 Oct 04

Hey woodchip you up to speed with W98, me not, can learn a bit more along with bearpot, thanks..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…