Help - software being defaulted as background - unresponsive?

omar234 09:00 08 Jul 14
Answered

A little difficult to explain, but it seems that during the use of programs or anything else, it defaults that current program as a background.

So, if i'm typing something on Google, it stops allowing me to type until I click on Chrome via the mouse. If i'm mouse scrolling my documents, it stops letting me do so after a while until I use the mouse to click on the Documents explorer. Or if i'm playing a game on fullscreen it keeps going back to the desktop

Is there an actual term for this problem? And what could be the cause for this?

Using Windows 7 Professional 64bit AMD FX 8320

It's a new computer (custom build) and windows 7 was just recently installed so not a lot of software on the PC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:37 08 Jul 14
Answer

Could be a number of things

1. scan for virus and malware

2. Use task manager to look for any unusual processes

3. type sfc /scannow in the search box and let windows find and restore missing or corrupt windows files.

come back to use after completing these tasks to let us know how you have got on.

omar234 10:44 08 Jul 14

Used microsoft security essentials to do a full scan with nothing to show for it

However, I ended all the processes within task manager except for those that it would not allow as well as others such as java and the audio manager. The problem seemed to have stopped so am in the process of figuring out what is causing the problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:15 08 Jul 14

I think you need to upgrade your Antivirus

MSE is nolonger any good even MS have admitted it is poor compared to the rest.

Suggest you uninstall and change to something like Avast free

Batch 11:34 08 Jul 14

Sounds to me like something else (other than what you see as the current program) is "getting focus". Basically getting focus means being the application that is currently the foreground active application on the screen.

This could be caused by some other other (e.g. background) task prompting for input (but not getting its dialogue box pushed to the foreground, so you are unaware of it - this sometimes happens). Similarly, the foreground active application (e.g Chrome in the example you have given) may have come across a situation where it is opening a separate dialogue box for you to respond to, but again not pushing the dialogue box to the foreground successfully.

If and when the situation arises, try minimising the windows one by one and see if there are any dialogue boxes hidden behind that need attention. Also look around in the notification area(s) for anything calling for attention.

lotvic 12:41 08 Jul 14

It is called 'stealing focus' - google that term. Caused by another program or popup as per Batch has explained.

omar234 13:17 08 Jul 14

It seems like the problem was created by a TP Link connection exe. Uninstalling the executable program seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for the heads up on MSE and the information on 'getting/stealing focus.'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…