Help - snapped IDE pin on HDD

Murray 00:01 26 Aug 03

My friend has a 120GB Hard disk which he'd rather not lose with a broken pin on the IDE connector,

The Pin snapped off the 80 pin connector and Seagate dont want to know.

I was thinking a simple way to fix it was to cannibalise an IDE ribbon cable, plug it in and strip the corresponding wire to attach another wire round the back and straight onto the PCB.

Any other ideas before I {potentially} wreck a disk.

anyone done anything similar before?

Lozzy 00:09 26 Aug 03

might work but I think you will be short out the HDD and make it useless.. Report back and let us know what happens

Murray 00:16 26 Aug 03

Obviously I would be careful not to touch any of the other pins.

My only other concern is if I used a 80 pin cable, how do I know which wire is connected to pin 13, say (I'm only guessing its pin 13!)

Lozzy 00:25 26 Aug 03

from one side of the female connector you will see a 1 or a red strip that is pin 1 count from there top row 1 2 3 etc from red strip

Murray 00:30 26 Aug 03

HDD has 40 pins: 1 2 3 4 ..... 39 40.

80 conductor wire has 80 wires and only 40 pins.

see my problem?

DieSse 01:15 26 Aug 03

Which pin? - You never know, you may be lucky and it's just an unused ground wire.

Megatyte 02:20 26 Aug 03

What's your location? If you pay return postage I can repair it for you. E-mail me if interested.

AH

Murray 18:52 26 Aug 03

Not sure which pin yet, will find out. Does anyone have a wiring diag for a hard disk - and/or an IDE cable.

Megatyte - very kind offer I'm based in Warwick (Midlands), but I was hoping to do it myself, purely out of self-satisfaction, you undersand.

-pops- 18:56 26 Aug 03

Before you panic too much. Are you sure a pin has been snapped of or is it just that on the pin array there is one missing?

Quite often one of the pins at the middle is missing to marry up with a similar blanked off part of the plug. This acts as a guide to prevent wrong connection.

-pops- 19:05 26 Aug 03

Look on p25 of click here for the standard IDE pin layout

The Sack 20:08 26 Aug 03

Just in case you dont have a broadband connection or a PDF reader on your PC you can click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…