HELP - Slooooow Laptop

southpaw 20:02 23 Nov 05

Hi

Can anyone give me some help and advice. I’m no expert and would be very grateful of your help, after all this is the best place to come!

My friend has a Dell laptop Pentium 1 or 2. Using Windows 98 and has 64MB Ram. It is extremely SLOW. Can take between 10 – 20mins to load up and when it shuts down takes about 20 – 25 minutes to shut down but the screen still shows Windows 98 shutting down screen. (The PC lights go off and the Hard Drive stops so there is no sound but strangely the screen stays on still showing the Windows logo.)

Therefore she has to switch off at the Off Switch.

I’ve installed Spybot, AdAware and Ccleaner. There were no viruses but a load of adware and spyware. Now its clean.

In the MSCONFIG I’ve turned off all the applications that don’t need to start.

But there is still no change in times for loading up and shutting down.

She currently has F-Secure AntiVirus installed. Is this the culprit?

Anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance.

(the search facility on here isn’t working so I can’t check for other posts at the moment)

woodchip 20:06 23 Nov 05

My suggestion is colect all drivers and if you have a win98 disk and key, do a clean install of 98 and reload drivers

southpaw 20:18 23 Nov 05

Unfortunately don't have these. Long story but its a laptop that was sold from Student to student!

Personally I'd upgrade but at the moment thats not financially possible.

woodchip 20:26 23 Nov 05

Then there is not much other than some house clearing that you can do. Like Go to Windows Explorer\Cookies Delete all cookies. Go to temp folder and delete all Tmp files. Run a Remove all programs not needed from Control Panel\Add Remove programs Download Spybot SD and run it also Ad-Aware from Lavasoft. Do a online Virus scan. Download Regclean for Win98 and run take card and read before allowing removal, although the can be restored from Regclean. Run Scandisk By right click on C:\ Tools then run Defrag now see how it goes

southpaw 20:30 23 Nov 05

Already done all the above except RegClean.

I'll try that now. Thanks.

southpaw 20:31 23 Nov 05

Oh, What about the F Secure could that be a problem?

(AVG Antivirus now added)

VoG II 20:32 23 Nov 05

Also ccleaner click here and defrag click here

VoG II 20:33 23 Nov 05

If you've put AVG on you must remove or disable F-Secure or it will run even slower.

southpaw 20:44 23 Nov 05

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it but a lot of what is being suggested I've already done as said in original post.

southpaw 20:46 23 Nov 05

VOG I have CCleaner but the link you've given is for a Currency Converter!! Is this a mistake?

woodchip 20:47 23 Nov 05

Yes that was for me in another forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…