Help with Sharing Files and Printer

degssie 12:18 14 Apr 05

I have set up a wireless connection between my Dell PC and a Toshiba Laptop using a Netgear DW834G and a Netgear WC111 USB connecter. Both machines run Windows XP Home with SP2 loaded.
I can connect to my broadband from both machines and everything is fine but I cannot see any shared folders or printer, the printer is connected to the PC.
I have tried to set up a network using the Windows network wizard but because I have used the Netgear installation disc it appears to have disabled the wizard. I saw in another magazine that enabling “Zero Windows ….” Something via the services should correct this but it hasn’t.
I have tried various solutions from various sites, such as, but they do not resolve the problem. Netgears instructions only seem to cover the wireless set up.
Any help would let this old man die in peace

FelixTCat 19:29 14 Apr 05

There are a few basics which have to be in place to be able to share.

First, both pcs have to be in the same workgroup and have different computer names. Check this by right-clicking on My Computer - Properties - Computer Name.

Secondly, file and printer sharing must be enabled on both pcs. Check this in Control Panel - Network Connections - [Network Icon] - Properties.

Thirdly, there must be something to share (a file, folder, drive or printer on each pc).

Finally, the firewall must be configured to allow communication with the IP addresses of the networked pcs.

degssie 23:18 16 Apr 05

FelixTCat - Thanks I have managed to see the printer and shared folders on my PC from the laptop but cannot see the laptop folders from my PC. I am told that I need permission. I have read in the forum other fixes for this but I do not seem to be able to find where to change the settings. I have enabled the sharing on the individual folders but appart from that where else do you set it? In network connections I have two, one is labelled Local Area Network and the other 1394 Connection. The latter does not have anything on the "support" tab. Will this make a difference?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…