Help to share a printer

My computer has a printer connected to it. I am connected to the internet with an ethernet cable that goes into a router which in turn goes into a set-top box. The PC downstairs connects to the internet with a wireless adapter and through the router. How do I share my printer please?

Eric10 11:44 11 Jun 06

click here for detailed instructions.

I need to restart this thread. I have followed the instructions and the hand has come out under the printer on my PC but when I browse for my printer I can't see it on the other PC.

Eric10 20:26 13 Jun 06

Both PCs need to be in the same workgroup so check that they both have the same Workgroup name. You will be able to connect to the Internet even if the workgroups are different but you won't be able to share files or printers.

mammak 20:44 13 Jun 06

Along with what Eric10 says on your second pc add printer wizard " add network printer" it should find your share and install any needed additional drivers ect it is good practise to turn off any fire walls for this procedure and set permissions later good luck.

Ok thanks all for your help I have now somehow got it to work. A silly question I expect, does my computer need to be on for the wireless PC to print even though the printer stays on?

mammak 20:53 13 Jun 06

Mmm I would think it would have to be on would depend on your setup though cant say I have tried though all my comps are on at the same time anyway so never had the need to find out I always found it less problematic to install the printer software on all my pcs, I am sure someone will be able to put you right glad you have got it sorted.

The problem I am now finding is that whenever I shut this PC down and restart the other PC won't print. I think it is because the firewall re-enables. Any way round this?

^

woodchip 21:24 14 Jun 06

You have to create a Network, on the XP Networking Wizard Go to Control Panel Networing the choose the wizard create a floppy when it asks then use this to set other computer up by double clicking on the file on the floppy disc in the other computer. you also have to have the computer switched on that the printer is connected to, unless you have a Network printer that can connect direct to the router

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…