Help Setting Up Wireless Network

BBez 19:40 08 Sep 06

Hi all, i've got a PC with BT Broadband running through a BT Voyager 205 Router (connected using the ethernet port, USB port disabled)...

Got the kids PC which isn't connected to the Internet but i want to connect it through my existing Broadband connection on the Voyager 205 router, what do i need to get a shared wireless connection running..?

any help, thanks in advance...

STREETWORK 21:55 08 Sep 06

You will need a wireless adapter which fits the USB on the kids computer. Then run the network set up wizard. This should detect the connection.

Control Panel - Network Connections; on the left you will see 'set up a home or small office network. Follow the promts carefully.

Post back if probs...

STREETWORK 21:56 08 Sep 06

PS I take it that you are running a wireless network...

Strawballs 22:55 08 Sep 06

You could do as Streetwork has suggested or if you don't mind taking the side off of the kids PC you could get a PCI card.

Your PC that is connected by wire can be used to setup the wireless and encryption use WPA not WEP just make sure that the wireless adapter that you use will also run with WPA.

You should have got a handbook with the modem/router that will explain how to do this.

NORV 10:59 09 Sep 06

I HAVE A NEW LAPTOP WHICH HAS PICKED UP THE OLD ROUTER THAT I HAVE FROM MY OLD LAP TOP.BUT AS THE NETWORK IS SECURITY ENABLED I CANNOT ACCESS THE INTERNET.
WHEN I TRY TO CONFIGURE THE SECURITY SETTINGS IAM TOLD THAT BASIC WEP SECURITY IS DETECTED.
THE ENCRYPTION LEVEL IS SET AT 128-BIT AND REQUIRES A PASSWORD FOR THE ENCRYPTION KEY.
THIS WAS SET BEFORE BY AN ENGINEER AND I DO NOT KNOW THE OLD PASSWORD.
CAN I MAKE UP A NEW PASSWORD OR DO I HAVE TO RETRIEVE THE OLD PASSWORD FROM SOMEWHERE?

BBez 11:44 09 Sep 06

I'm pretty limited with the Voyager 205 as it only has 1 ethernet port.

STREETWORK / Strawballs, if i get a wireless PCI / USB card, for the kids PC, do i need to get a wireless router for my own existing connection / PC, which is wired to BT BB..?

tia...

rodriguez 11:52 09 Sep 06

Yes you need a wireless router to replace the Voyager 205 as it isn't wireless (click here). You will also need a wireless PCI card in any computer that doesn't already have wireless support, but you can get a USB dongle instead that plugs into the back of the computer which saves you having to take the machine apart. Then you can run the Network Setup Wizard and it should set the connection up.

Strawballs 12:23 09 Sep 06

NORV start a new thread of your own

BBez 12:56 09 Sep 06

rodriguez, tnx for clearing that up. STREETWORK / Strawballs, tnx also for the help, will get onto that today as the kids keep hijacking my PC to get online, lol...

BBez 13:29 09 Sep 06

i've purchased this:

click here

hope this is what i require for BT BB...

tia...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…