Help with setting up wireless network...

Jon77 23:20 13 Nov 05

Im sure there is a post relating to this somewhere, but I couldnt find any so here goes...

Ive just ordered Tiscali 1Mb broadband and am waiting to receive my modem and have the connection setup. In the meantime I want to get everything arranged to setup my home network. I have a laptop but I also want to setup my fathers desktop PC in the same house and my Xbox to make use of the connection. Preferably I would like to setup a wireless network. If I buy a wireless router, does this mean I can connect the modem to the router and then the Xbox, my dads PC and my PC all to the router to share the connection? My laptop is already wireless enabled but my fathers PC isnt so I guess I would have to purchase a PCI wireless card for his machine? Any help or advice or any warnings of problems I may encounter would be much appreciated!

mgmcc 07:14 14 Nov 05

<<< If I buy a wireless router, does this mean I can connect the modem to the router...>>>

No, Tiscali will supply you with a USB modem which cannot be used with a router. You need to buy a combined "Wireless Router/ADSL Modem" and discard the Tiscali modem.

<<< then the Xbox, my dads PC and my PC all to the router to share the connection? >>>

Yes, these all connect to the router with either a wired or a wireless connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…