Help Setting Up New Laptop

NSBT 15:49 23 Jan 08

Hi

I have a desktop, and have just purchased my very first laptop, I'm having difficulty trying to get connected to the internet on the laptop.

When I click IE on the laptop :
A
A HTTP error occurred while getting:
click here. msn.com/runonce2.aspx

Details “connect timed out”

Any advice please?

I'm not computer literate, so please be gentle with me

Thanks

Technotiger 15:57 23 Jan 08

What laptop, make/model? How are you connecting cable or wireless, modem or router, what router?

NSBT 16:06 23 Jan 08

hi Tech

Oh dear, sorry about that, I should have mentioned it

OK, the laptop is a HP530.

I have blue yonder BB, a belkin wireless router, and a Linksys wireless adaptor, hope that makes sense.

Technotiger 16:25 23 Jan 08

This laptop is wireless enabled, so it should work 'straight out of the box'.

I am not wireless techie enough to give details though - some laptops have a wireless 'on/off' type of switch, but in not in your case I believe. Make sure the wireless adapter is firmly in place in the slot.

I am sure someone else will come on and offer further advice.

NSBT 16:29 23 Jan 08

OK

Thank you tech for assisting me so far.

NSBT 16:36 23 Jan 08

I forgot to mention, not sure if this make a difference, but on my home computer I have this

Tools> Internet Options> Connections> Lan Settings> Proxy Server (ticked) address: webcache.blueyounder.co.uk Port: 8080

Technotiger 16:48 23 Jan 08

Hmm, I don't think Proxy Server should be ticked. Going by memory, which is not so good these days, I don't think Proxy Server was ticked when my partners laptop was connected wireless to my PC. It was a while ago and she is not here at the moment.

Technotiger 16:49 23 Jan 08

Probably best to wait until a wireless know-how member comes on to assist you.

Technotiger 16:51 23 Jan 08

BTW - the regular members are probably all at work at the moment - it starts to get livelier here in the evenings. :-))

Technotiger 17:10 23 Jan 08

Have good read through this while you are waiting ...

click here

NSBT 17:17 23 Jan 08

Thx folks, I'll hold fire, this is a very supportive forum, someone will know eventually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…