Help setting up new ADSL connection

CubicleMonkey 15:46 23 Aug 04

Hi people

I've been trying to set up my new ADSL connection, which I've never done before. I have an external ADSL modem router already plugged into my computer and the connection is OK (XP says so) - and the line has now been ADSL enabled (I think - it has a steady green light on which agrees with the manual).

The problem is where I go now. The manual says to launch a browser and type in click here; then it says a username and password will be prompted. But when I do this, all I get is the same connection window that I'd have for dial-up - is this right?

I have all the necessary passwords and parameters etc from the ISP, but if I can't get to the router's menu I can't put them in! If anyone can give me a quick idiot guide to setting it up - or point me towards a good website, this would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance :o)

(previously posted in the other forum. What can I say, I'm dense).

Hunky 16:09 23 Aug 04

Hi, I'm probably as dense as u r.
When u say ' then it says a username and password will be prompted. But when I do this, all I get is the same connection window that I'd have for dial-up - is this right?' I get the same window, & all I do is enter the info that I have AND click on remember my details or whatever words to that effect. Then I just click CONNECT...& AWAY WE GO.
Each time I logon, I have to double click the 'Dial uo' icon on my desktop, & then 'connect' in the new window. Hope this makes some sense.
P.S.Which ISP you with?....I must follow this one through....it's interesting.

mgmcc 16:10 23 Aug 04

Often routers are configured using a web page which is accessed by entering "http" etc followed by an IP address, in your case it appears to be 10.0.0.2

However, if at the moment your internet settings are configured to dialup as soon as you enter a URL in the browser window, "Windows" might still be trying to connect with your old dialup settings before letting you open the 10.0.0.2 page. You therefore need to set "Never dial a connection" in Internet Explorer's menus "Tools > Internet Options > Connections". The page should then open without you being prompted to connect to the internet.

Hunky 16:16 23 Aug 04

Interesting one, mgmcc.

CubicleMonkey 16:36 23 Aug 04

I was floating around the right lines: had tried disabling the modem, but as you suggested the trick was to stop IE trying to dial.

Magic!! Woohoo!

Hunky, I'm starting out with DComms Europe click here - have picked their wires-only solution because I wanted to buy my own modem/router which I have done from Ebuyer.

The router in question was supposed to be the cheapest one they sell... widely described as an Origo 8000 or something. However, the one that was delivered to me is a Safecom LP-AL2014P - a four-port jobbie. Very nice I must say.

I'm now off to download some huge files, just because I can hahaha....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…