Help setting up my new Asus MX279 27in screen please!

sydsnott 14:35 02 Jan 14
Answered

After much grovelling and grappling with the spaghetti under my desk, I've managed to fire it up, and it's decided that 1024 x 768 is adequate!

OK, the image does fill the screen, but the incessant call of the female of the species is ringing in my ears!

"Does my bum look big in this?"

Well, quite frankly dear it does; but that's the least of your worries at the mo'!

Seriously, my clock (Vista sidebar) and other things round, are portrayed in an eliptical style.

Delving into the NVIDIA Control Panel and changing to the available 1920 x 1080 corrects the perspective distortion, but everything is squashed up into the top left corner!

How should I proceed to obtain an un-distorted image but use all the available real-estate?

Woolwell 14:46 02 Jan 14

It should be at 1920 x 1080 which is the native resolution. What do you mean by everything is squashed up into the top left corner? Do you get the full desktop or not? It may be that the v and h positions need changing.

sydsnott 15:03 02 Jan 14

Hi Woolwell, this link (If I've done it right) should take you to a full screen shot with the res. set at 1920 x 1080.

1920 x 1080 screen shot

sydsnott 15:15 02 Jan 14

Maybe this without the open windows will give a better idea!

Just the desktop

Mr Mistoffelees 15:38 02 Jan 14

What type of cable are you using to connect the monitor to your graphics card? Ideally I would suggest you should be using one of the HDMI ports, not the d-sub. If you are using the d-sub you are going to have to adjust the picture in the monitor's own settings.

sydsnott 16:00 02 Jan 14

Hi Mr Mistoffelees, the monitor only has 2 x HDMI and a VGA input.

It comes complete with a DVI to HDMI cable and my nVidia GeForce 9600GT card has two Dual link DVI-I out connections.

If that's any help.

I can re-size my various windows to take advantage of the space available, but the Desktop icons just look so daft, all huddled up in the top left of the screen!

I suppose it's just a case of getting used to the new vista... pardon the pun!

Woolwell 16:01 02 Jan 14
Answer

The icons need refreshing and the windows stretching but otherwise it is difficult to comment. I see that it has only VGA and HDMI. As Mr Mistoffelees has stated using VGA then you will have to set up the screen using the monitor's controls to centre the screen, etc.

Woolwell 16:03 02 Jan 14

Does the 9600GT have a HMDI output?

Right click on the desktop and choose refresh or view auto arrange icons may well sort out your desktop icons being top left.

sydsnott 16:15 02 Jan 14

Just playing around and I've noticed that the first time applications are opened, they randomly open in various areas of the screen....I suppose this is due to the program coding.

Once you have re-sized and re-positioned the window, it appears to remember these preferences.

Doubtless this is not "news" to those who have become accustomed to such a cinematic experience, but my previous screen was 17" 4:3, and it didn't much matter where programmes decided to open their GUI !

Woolwell 16:21 02 Jan 14

Windows does remember positions.

sydsnott 16:24 02 Jan 14

Hi Woolwell, no the 9600GT is circa 2007 and only has the two DVI's and a DIN type socket which a Google search indicates is called "HDTV"!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac