Help setting up 2 PC's to use Broadband, please

xania 20:29 26 May 04

I have 2 PC's both running 98SE. I've just got broadband and purchased a modem/router which works very well on my first PC, which has a LAN riser on-board. Now trying to get the second PC to connect, I have inserted a LAN card and got the drivers installed, then connected through a 10 meter patch cable, but nothing happens. The lights on the LAN card light up (sometimes) but not the appropriate light on the router. I do know that I'm supposed to set something up, but, with the first PC going like the clappers without anyting special setup, I'm stumped.

Oh yes. A couple of other points. When I set up that LAN PCI card, I had been sold a cross-over cable which I've now swapped for the correct thing. Should I now try to uninstall and re-install the LAN card? Secondly, since installing that LAN card, that PC has consistently hungon closing and I've had to reset it to get things going again - even on Restart - is this a clue?

I don't want to be able to share files or printers or anything like that - just the internet connection. The LAN card insta;llation included EastShare - can I safely delete this?

stalion 21:51 26 May 04

bump

PSF 22:19 26 May 04

Try un-installing the Lan card and Eastshare.
Shut down and move the card to a different slot if you have a spare one.
Just install the Lan drivers when asked for.

connect to router if it does not work try a different socket in the back of the router, you do not have to use them in order. You should connect direct to the internet then.

xania 18:21 27 May 04

Thank you for this. I have done as you suggested and it has got me part way. We've solved that windows clsoing problem and now we jhave the lights on permanently on the card and on the router. I've also changed the workgroup on Network Indentification to be identical, but we each have our own Computer anem and computer description. But still, the second PC does not see the internet. Any more ideas, please?

Epocs 18:24 27 May 04

Do you have any firewall software installed?

ayrmail 18:59 27 May 04

Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, but I have 2 pc using the same broadband conection. I have them conected as follows pc1 conecteded to modem pc 2 conected to pc1 via a crossover cable.
It did take a few atempts to set ie setting conection to be shared rebotting before it would take affect and so on.
The conection wizard was also a little tempremental in that it would say that it could not finish at this time try again.
Dose a router make the conection better than the way I have it set up.
Also I take it that your ISP supports shareing or that it can be done ie my ISP dose not support shareing but it can be done.

PSF 19:31 27 May 04

I have normally used a standard cable not crossover cable.

Yes, it would be better to connect the other pc direct to the router. You will not have to have both pc's on all the time that way.

I use NTL and they have no problem with users sharing the modem in the same house.

When you use a router all the pc's connected to it are hidden. I have connected an X box to it and another pc I rebuilt, it connected straight away. All that was installed was the network card with standard Windows drivers.

SEASHANTY 19:59 27 May 04

Lots of info on this website on networking
click here#

paddyjack 20:21 27 May 04

Silly question but have you set up your account details on the second computer?

xania 20:54 27 May 04

Epocs - yes Norton Systemworks & Norton Firewall on both.

Seashanty - thanks for the link - I have to pack up now but we have a nice long weekend ahead.

Paddyjack - what a silly question - and I think this may be where I've gone wrong. We had two accounts - mine has switched and hers will close. That's my gaff I reckon. Watch this space and remember ...there's no such thing as a silly question 0 just a silly answer!!

xania 20:54 27 May 04

Epocs - yes Norton Systemworks & Norton Firewall on both.

Seashanty - thanks for the link - I have to pack up now but we have a nice long weekend ahead.

Paddyjack - what a silly question - I think this may be where I've gone wrong. We had two accounts - mine has switched and hers will close. That's my gaff I reckon. Watch this space and remember ...there's no such thing as a silly question - just a silly answer!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…