Help to set up small office network

alijohn 13:08 21 Sep 07

Hi. I am trying to set up a small office network to share the files between 2/3 PC's all running Windows XP. I am starting with 1 PC and a laptop which both have Belkin MIMO wireless adapters installed and I have a Belking MIMO router connected to the PC. We only have dial up internet connection so am not trying to share internet access.
What I have done so far is:-

Installed network adapters

Connected router to PC using yellow network cable

Both computers can connect to the router so am assuming this I have done correctly

I have tried to set both computers up into the same workgroup and have selected option for File & Printer sharing & I have made a main folder on the PC shared

When I go into my Network Places I can see the workgroup but cannot access it on either computer and am now totally stuck.

I only do my job once a week and am classed as the IT dept (it's a small place!!) and I am now thinking I've got more on my hands than I can deal with!
Am I right in thinking I should be able to share files between the 2 (eventually 3) computers using the router and network adapters? Also on another computer in ipconfig I do not get an IP address only 'Windows IP Configuration', how can I solve this so I can get this PC to join the network when eventually it all works (hopefully).

Thanks very much (my job depends on this!!!)

Alison

irishrapter 14:31 21 Sep 07

You are on the right track, you say you have enabled file and print sharing and have selected a folder for sharing.
Two things to look at are "Sharing Permissions" and "Security" both can be accessed by right clicking on the folder and selecting either "Sharing and security" or "Properties".

This is what I would do; first make sure that all the users’ names on one computer are also on the other computer(s). For example if you had a user called "bob" on one computer create a new account on the other computer also called "bob". (Even if they don’t use that computer)
Also create passwords for all users and keep the passwords for each user the same on both computers.

Once that is done then go back into the "Sharing Permissions" and make sure that the users you wish to have access to the folder are allowed.
Do the same with the file security.

I would also disable windows firewall on the network card that you are using on both computers and check if any other firewall or security software is running, if so configure it to allow file and print sharing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced