Help with SATA hard drive

dth 11:29 20 Jan 05

Am a bit confused on Sata drives.

My motherboard is quote new-ish and can accommodate SATA hard drives. At the moment I have an IDE drive set as master and a DVD drive set as master on the second channel. As I understand that Sata drives are jumperless so to speak how would it fit in? Would it just become drive D (with my IDE drive still being C and my DVD drive being E).

Also would I be able to format it using Fdisk (although am using Windows XP I much prefer fat32 to ntfs).

Many thanks

georgemac 12:12 20 Jan 05

the SATA drive would just become another drive, it should be d:

you will need a SATA data connector cable - it is totally different from IDE, and you will need to see if your psu has a SATA power cable, again different - if it does not you can buy an adapter cable to fit on the normal 4 pin 12 volt power supply plug for ide drives.

don't know if you would be able to format it using fdisk, but you would be able to format it in FAT32 using xp disk management - I cannot remember how to open it - go to xp help and search for disk management or computer management and you will be able to open this tool from there.

temp003 14:44 20 Jan 05

Check whether your motherboard comes with at least one set of disk connector cable and the power cable that georgemac is referring to. Quite often motherboards do. If not, just buy a set.

If you're not trying to install XP afresh on the new drive and are just using the new sata drive as storage, just connect it, start the computer, check that it's recognised, and boot into Windows.

Then click Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter. In the graph, find your new hdd - normally it becomes disk1. It should display the disk capacity. Then see if it already has a partition. Right click the unallocated space to select create new partition, and follow the prompts. You should be asked whether you want to format it, and in what file system.

mattyc_92 16:57 20 Jan 05

If your motherboard hasn't got the "sockets" for it, then just buy a "Serial ATA PCI card controller"

As for the cables, they will come with the drive itself!!!

georgemac 17:07 20 Jan 05

the cables will come with the retail version of the drive but not with an oem version.

click here data cable

click here power cable adapter

DrScott 17:08 20 Jan 05

If you buy an OEM drive, as most of them seem to be, the cables are not included :)

dth 18:20 20 Jan 05

Many thanks for posting.

Yes the motherboard has the sockets and I have these funny little leads which I assume are the ones. I'll give it a go.

Many thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…