HELP: Samsung 840 EVO SSD Cloning Error

Isenhowitzer 15:51 27 May 14
Answered

Hi Guys,

Bought a Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD yesterday and I've been attempting to clone it using the Samsung Data Migration software which comes with the SSD. Every time I've tried to run the programme I've been getting the following error:

"Error: Failed to retrieve Target disk information 205410[032262]"

A chronological look at things:

Put my new SSD into my PC, hooked everything up and turned it on (I've got numerous drive bays so I just slotted it in alongside my old HDD which I intend to keep for storage, using the SSD for things like my OS and online games).

Opened up My Computer, SSD wasn't there.

Tried to run the cloning programme, got the error the first time.

Found a guide talking me through making sure the new SSD was visible in the BIOS, and how to go about partitioning and formatting it to ensure it shows up in My Computer.

It now shows up in My Computer, I can copy files across onto it and such and so I try to clone it again (after reformatting it to ensure nothing was actually on it); still get the error.

Take a look at My Computer, the SSD had disappeared and had effectively 'un-partitioned' itself in the Disk Management section of Computer Management.

I've tried phoning Samsung Support here in the UK and frankly they were useless. I'm waiting on a form to be emailed to me for me to fill in my computer specs and whatever else they need to attempt to help me, but I figured I'd come to the internet to see if there is anyone else out there who has had this issue.

My computer specs are available if required and I would greatly appreciate any help given to me.

Cheers guys,

Isen.

Isenhowitzer 16:24 27 May 14

Aye, I'm tempted to just do a fresh install. I bounced this idea off of a friend last night:

Would simply removing my old HDD from my PC, running the install on my new SSD and ensuring that it was the first priority to boot from in the BIOS and then plugging my old HDD back in work? That way I could ensure my OS was on the SSD, delete the old files from my HDD and not lose any of the data on my HDD when running the fresh install?

My PC came equipped with a couple of drive-bays at the front where I can slide out the bays, screw in the new hardrive and slot it in. At the back were already cables which were plugged into the motherboard and PSU so, in answer to your question, I guess not?

And sure:

OS: Windows 7 64 bit. Processor: Intel i-7 2600 RAM: 8.00gb GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6750 Motherboard: MS-7707 (Medion PC)

Isenhowitzer 22:22 27 May 14

Thanks Lazarus The 2nd, this worked perfectly! Now to go through the process of sorting everything out on my hard-drives ensuring I've got programmes on the correct hard-drive! :P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…