HELP!! Retrieve data

vgmaster 23:42 30 Jan 07

Hey guys/gals, here is my dilema. I got a virus/worm the other day. It removed my task bar and shifted some of my shortcuts. It also would not allow me to copy ANY files to a pen drive or external hard drive device sooooooo.....I began a Windows XP SP2 installation fix in hopes that it would temp fix it so I could pull my data off and do a clean format. The Install stops and hangs with approximately 39 minutes left until setup is complete. I have restarted my computer uncountable times and it still hangs at 39 minutes left. I do not see an option to quit the install. I tried removing the drive and putting it in an external enclosure to retrieve the data but when I try to access my folder it says that access is denied. This is obviously due to the fact that I had a User Account password. I can access the Guest Account and my Kids Account since there are no password on them, but not mine. I reinstalled the hard drive into the original computer and it still hangs at 39 minutes. Is there any way to quit the WinXP SP2 install fix so I can go back into my damaged user account and turn off my password so I can put the drive into an external enclosure and pull the data to my other computer? I would appreciate any help as I have digital photos a video files of the family that I can't replace!!!!! Please help!!!!!!

johnnyrocker 23:51 30 Jan 07

i would think that out of panic you may have created unsaveable bits but you might ( hopefully ) be able to system restore to befor the debacle you have created, best of luck

johnny

lotvic 23:55 30 Jan 07

this might help
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP click here

terryf 01:00 31 Jan 07

If you put the drive as a SLAVE in another computer, you ought to be able to see any undamaged folders and save them elsewhere

lotvic 20:56 31 Jan 07

did you identify and clean the virus/worm from the infected hard drive? You could possibly infect the other pc if you didn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…