HELP!! Retrieve data

vgmaster 23:42 30 Jan 07

Hey guys/gals, here is my dilema. I got a virus/worm the other day. It removed my task bar and shifted some of my shortcuts. It also would not allow me to copy ANY files to a pen drive or external hard drive device sooooooo.....I began a Windows XP SP2 installation fix in hopes that it would temp fix it so I could pull my data off and do a clean format. The Install stops and hangs with approximately 39 minutes left until setup is complete. I have restarted my computer uncountable times and it still hangs at 39 minutes left. I do not see an option to quit the install. I tried removing the drive and putting it in an external enclosure to retrieve the data but when I try to access my folder it says that access is denied. This is obviously due to the fact that I had a User Account password. I can access the Guest Account and my Kids Account since there are no password on them, but not mine. I reinstalled the hard drive into the original computer and it still hangs at 39 minutes. Is there any way to quit the WinXP SP2 install fix so I can go back into my damaged user account and turn off my password so I can put the drive into an external enclosure and pull the data to my other computer? I would appreciate any help as I have digital photos a video files of the family that I can't replace!!!!! Please help!!!!!!

johnnyrocker 23:51 30 Jan 07

i would think that out of panic you may have created unsaveable bits but you might ( hopefully ) be able to system restore to befor the debacle you have created, best of luck

johnny

lotvic 23:55 30 Jan 07

this might help
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP click here

terryf 01:00 31 Jan 07

If you put the drive as a SLAVE in another computer, you ought to be able to see any undamaged folders and save them elsewhere

lotvic 20:56 31 Jan 07

did you identify and clean the virus/worm from the infected hard drive? You could possibly infect the other pc if you didn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac