Help! Restore HDD contents mistakenly formatted

Tj_El 22:32 08 Mar 05

Help! My PC failed during use (while I was away on holiday) and in my haste to try and fix the problem, I mistakenly began to format one of my slave drives attached via an IDE Controller card. I cancelled the process when it was about a third of the way after it dawned on me that I was making a mistake!

In the Windows environment I can't see the drive however BELARC shows it's presence and from within the command line, I can see the drive and list it's directory contents.

Is there a way I can restore the rive without losing all the data on it?

Yours in hope.

bluesbrother 22:44 08 Mar 05

I've never had to use this myself, but I'm told it works. Not being familiar with XP I don't know if you can use it with that OS

The UNFORMAT (DOS) command is used to recover files on a disk that have been erased by using the FORMAT command.

The UNFORMAT command cannot always recover all the files that were on a disk that was accidentally formatted. To assure a better recovery of files on a formatted disk, use the MIRROR command.

drive Specifies the drive containing the disk to unformat.

/J - Checks the disk to determine if the MIRROR command has been used to place file-recovery information on it. (In DOS Version 6, this program is stored on the DOS supplemental disk.)

/L - Used with the /partn parameter to tell DOS that there is no MIRROR file on the disk.

/P - Used to tell DOS to send any UNFORMAT messages to the printer.

/U - Used to tell DOS to recover files from a formatted disk without using the MIRROR file information (starting with DOS Version 6, this option is no longer available).

bluesbrother 22:50 08 Mar 05

or, for 50 bucks (US) click here

bluesbrother 22:53 08 Mar 05

Just found this click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:35 08 Mar 05

File recovery :-
Badcopy Pro click here
file_recovery click here
R_Studio click here
Easyrecovery click here
Floppy recovery click here
Drive Rescue click here

Tj_El 00:34 10 Mar 05

Wow! Thanks people! :-))

I'll go check through all these starting with the UNFORMAT command.

Will post back with results.

TomJerry 01:01 10 Mar 05

you can try Easyrecovery Pro click here

Tj_El 15:05 12 Mar 05

Well, here's the prognosis... after checking the contents of the HDD via MS-DOS I then looked at the UNFORMAT command and decided it best to re-boot the PC before commencing ... that was when I noticed that the drive was now appearing in Windows Explorer!! and better than that it was there with all it's contents!!! Yippeee!!

I guess although the formatting progress bar was showing the progress status, it wasn't actually "formatting" the drive at that point.

But to all who posted, my sincere thanks. :-)) It will remain here on the Forum (I hope) should I make the same mistake again...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…