Help required setting up home network.

scottiec 11:42 15 May 05

I currently have a Desktop pc connected to a cable broadband connection (Blueyonder) via a cable modem. I have now bought a second hand laptop and want it to share my broadband connection wirelessly.

How do I go about it.

Here are the specifics of what I have so far.

Desktop PC running Athlon 2400mhz with 1024MB ram. running Windows Xp Home SP2. I have a network card installed but it's not used.

Modem is an external cable modem as supplied by telewest, and is connected to my pc via USB although it does have a network connection on the back.

Laptop is an old Dell Latitude Pentium II 300Mhz with 128Mb Ram running Windows 2000 Pro SP4. It has a usb port and two empty PCmia port thingy's.

PLease please help. I would like to set this up primarily so my laptop can have access to the internet through my existing connection, but also if possible, share the printers I have connected to my desctop PC. Cost effectivity is also a consideration.

Any help gratefully received

Cheers

Tubster 22:10 15 May 05

I have pretty much the same setup, desktop was originally connected to bluyonder modem via usb, i bought a laptop and wanted the whole shibang (wireless), i bought a wireless router plugged into the ethernet port on modem and connected two wireless adaptors (802.11b) to desktop and laptop. It cost me around £90 in total.

A cheaper way might be to just buy two wireless adaptors for each pc, but the main one (desktop) would have to be switched on all the time for the laptop to have net access.

mgmcc 08:52 17 May 05

To create a wireless network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Wireless Network Adapter in each PC and create an “Ad Hoc” Wireless Network. This is a network in which the two PCs talk directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than computer is to use a broadband Router. This is an ”Infrastructure” wireless network because the connected PCs communicate via the router’s Wireless Access Point. Again, a wireless adapter is installed in any PC that needs to connect wirelessly, but often the main PC is close enough to the router for it to use a “wired” connection with only the remote PC connecting wirelessly.

With “Internet Connection Sharing” under option (1), when you enable this on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the Local Area Connection with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. However, as you will be using a WiFi adapter, you want this address to be allocated to it, rather than a “wired” Ethernet adapter if you have one fitted, so the Local Area Connection should be disabled before setting up “Internet Connection Sharing”. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your “host” PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or “ICS” traffic will be blocked.

With a router, as in option (2), it is the router which connects directly to the ISP and not one of the connected PCs. The router in turn allocates the IP addresses to the PCs, using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, usually 192.168.xxx.xxx

Either of these options will additionally allow you to run File and/or Printer Sharing wirelessly across the network.

If you are running software firewalls, the IP addresses of the networked PCs must be put into its "trusted" area to allow them to communicate with one another.

PRINTER SHARING:

1) Connect the printer to the laptop, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the laptop's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the laptop. If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here;en-us;141839

mgmcc 08:54 17 May 05

URL should be:

h t t p : / / support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

...without the spaces.

mgmcc 09:05 17 May 05

<<<Modem is an external cable modem as supplied by telewest, and is connected to my pc via USB although it does have a network connection on the back.>>>

If you have an unused network adapter installed in the PC, I cannot think of any good reason for connecting to the modem by USB instead of ethernet, which requires no software or drivers installed in the PC.

Should you opt for "Internet Connection Sharing" with Wireless Network Adapters, I would suggest using the existing "wired" adapter to connect to the modem. If you go for a router, the network adapter could be used to connect to the router instead of wirelessly.

mgmcc 09:06 17 May 05

<<<Modem is an external cable modem as supplied by telewest, and is connected to my pc via USB although it does have a network connection on the back.>>>

If you have an unused network adapter installed in the PC, I cannot think of any good reason for connecting to the modem by USB instead of ethernet, which requires no software or drivers installed in the PC.

Should you opt for "Internet Connection Sharing" with Wireless Network Adapters, I would suggest using the existing "wired" adapter to connect to the modem. If you go for a router, the network adapter could be used to connect to the router instead of wirelessly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…