help required to recover disc

seamus34 19:30 10 Aug 06

can anybody help please. 1) THe disk I was attempting to partition was a maxtor 300 gb external drive for my laptop. (win service pack 2 running windows xp)
2) I was attempting to partion the Maxtor drive into 2 partitions when the laptop crashed during the process.
3) If I look at 'my computer' the external drive does NOT show up id of the 'damaged disk if i display ' my computer' . If i run partition magic the folders on the external disk display but not the data.
4) i get an error message - when i attempt to partition the disk
:-
---------------------------
Error
Error #1642
Index sequence number mismatch, File 41326 (144)
OK

after pressing ok
the next error message is ---------------------------
Error
Error #1642
Index sequence number mismatch, File 0 (0)
OK
if i press ok the following message is dispalyed :
Error
Error #1642
Index sequence number mismatch, File 0 (0)
OK
I am able to browse the partition file names only -and I am able to display up to 3 levels down BUT am unable to display any data in the files.
The 'full ' path is displayed as
rodinterestingstuff\\.\disk2.part1\) in partition magic

All /any help or suggestion are much appreciated

johndrew 20:00 10 Aug 06

How about when you go to `Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management`. Can you see your external drive there?

If so you can delete any partition(s) you have and start again.

You can get more information from `Start>Help and Support` by typing in `Format` and select `Format a Basic Volume` and `Partition` and `Delete/Create a logical partition or drive`.

Hope this helps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 10 Aug 06

Ontrack data recovery is the no1 software to recover unallocated drive data.

Also you can try active partition recovery to recover deleted partition.

click here

Also check this article to recover deleted partition

click here.

seamus34 12:41 14 Aug 06

Guys ,,
thansk for all your help on this, I chose outtrack which worked great. I was able to recover most of the data. tanks once again for all the sugestions

Seamus

Nerissa 15:42 19 Aug 06

i think i have the same exact problem..made my maxtor 300gb as an external too for my laptop and encountered a power interruption while using it..therefore i was unable to safely remove the disk so i just turned off the drive..a popup message appeared: saying that windows delayed write failed.. next time i tried..the data is lost and then under disk management the hard drive appears unallocated...i really need help

PH1 15:45 19 Aug 06

What is the best free CD recovery software?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…