Help Required - need new graphics card!!

nubiwan 23:23 13 May 07

I desperately need a new gaphics card. I currently have and Athlon XP 2800+ 512MB memory.
I only have GeForce4 onboard graphics and it wont run new games like Medieval 2, etc.

I think i know what graphics card ar e in my range, but i need help.

My motherboard only supports AGP(x8) and i only have a 300W psu ( i know a lot of cards need 350 or higher)
I would ideally like a card with 256MB memory, and if possible VIVO.

Can anyone make any recommendations??
I don't really want to spend more than £50-£100.

Please help.

Thanks.

Totally-braindead 00:11 14 May 07

You can get some good cards for the money but without replacing the power supply it might not work properly.
Nvidia 7600GS about £70, 7600 GT about £90. ATI how about this click here not saying how good it is but its a big improvement on what you have and its within budget.

I'm almost certain you'll need a new power supply though at least a 450 watt one.

Totally-braindead 00:12 14 May 07

Read this click here

interesting read tb, i know folks upgrading from 7600gt to 8600gts, i bet they wont notice any difference! the 7600gt is a top performer in the nvidia range, i was more than pleased with mine (till i fried it!)
the thing is it played everything i had at full res and settings, and you can have a 4 card 8800gtx set up and at the end of the day, is it worth it, if it's just for game playing keep it simple, you can pay £400 for a card and a couple of months later there's a new one out, and what for better 3d benchmarks, better fraps? my new card seems to have deeper richer colours but at the end of the day, if i wasnt looking for it i probably wouldnt notice!
keep it simple i reacon

Totally-braindead 00:32 14 May 07

I only have a 7600GS. Not a fantastic card by any means but it so far has played everything at a reasonable resolution. I don't need a card that will run at mega resolutions as my monitor is not capable of showing that resolution so whats the point.
When I get a game that will not run without lag then I will either add another 7600GS cos my board has SLI or more likely buy a new card.
I will buy a reasonable card not a £400 blow your socks off card as I don't see the point. Thats almost as much as my entire PC cost!

To see how cards fair look here click here bear in mind these are PCI Express cards but its still a reasonable comparison. And of course not all cards are listed.

COLIN-234466 08:18 14 May 07

Hi . i bought the 8500 gt and well impressed .i know it was the bottom of the range but it suits my needs .for watching dvd's it is stunning . for playing games it is much improved from my onboard graphics plays all the games my boy has at highest quality and full screen resolution and he and his mates are well impressed .my point being dont spend a fortune on overkill you wont use buy somthing that suits your needs/computer/pocket .

nubiwan 17:58 14 May 07

Thanks guys but i was thinking much lower end than a 8500. I was thinking maybe a 6800 or an ati 1650??

But i've tried looking at some specs and im not sure they'd work with my 300W psu.

I dont really want to replace the PSU i just want to know what is best performance card i can get to work with 300W

Totally-braindead 18:23 14 May 07

nubiwan the problem is I think all of the cards mentioned require more.
As I see if you have 2 choices assumming you keep the computer you are using, either upgrade the power supply so it will run one of these cards or dowsize the graphics card you are looking at something that will run on a 300watt power supply. But which of the cards this would be I am unsure. You should be ok with the likes of this click here or perhaps even this click here but I am unsure if 300 watts will be ok with even these cards.

Look at it this way, if you do upgrade the power supply and you buy a decent branded one you can keep it and use it on your next PC if you buy one with a good rating. Or you could buy a cheapo one like this I suppose click here though you would need to check that your power supply is an ATX one.

also, the higher the second number is usually it's position in the range, ie the 7 series, starts with the 7100, 7300, 7600 7900 etc.
so the 6800 is of an older range but would be a more powerful card than the 8500, the letters are usually le/se for a basic card gs/gt/gts gtx etc for the more powerful card, my mate has a 6800 ultra and it,s still a powerfull card, he paid a lot of money for it a few years ago, and now theres the 8800 which is todays replacement, pretty much, my friends 6800 has a seperate feed from his 480 watt psu so the 8500 would probably use less power, however my 7600gt stated min 350 psu on the box, and my 350 watt psu wouldnt run it! you really need to think about a better psu, because i think you will have to replace it for any half decent card you fit.
im on my forth in 12 months! so if you upgrade get a biggy that will last you, in case you decide to fit anything else!

and after asking for clarification of what wattage would run my current grx card, i had this reply from their techie chaps
"the psu wattage is basically the makers statement of how big it is, so you could buy a quality 300 watt psu with solid delivery and good high amps on the rails that would power a device a cheap 700 watt model would struggle with. yes, you have a good quality unit of over 500 watts, yet it struggles because, as you spotted it only has 18 amps on 2 rails and any g80 card really needs 20 amps to remain stable"
i once paid £20 for a 450 watt psu, and was advised to get rid quick on these forums, because a cheap psu can go pop and take a lot of other hardware with it, when my last one went it caused no other damage because of circuit monitoring and failsafe security features etc.
im posting this because i found it useful and hopefully others shall.

Totally-braindead 00:12 15 May 07

Sorry nubiwan I think what you want doesn't exist. If you want a good replacement for your graphics card you will have to replace the power supply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5