Help required, my brother has a virus on laptop

julius44 19:05 02 Jun 09

Hello all, my brother rang me about 30mins ago, and he told me that hes got various pop ups on his laptop, and his internet is getting very, very, slow....but hes still got internet access, ...he wanted to restore to factory setings, but he'd lose all his data..he has no external hard drive, and he's got some important data, So i'd need some advice on some free software that will scan his laptop, and remove all nasties...hence very urgent help required, i thot kaspersky were doing a 30 days free trial of kis 2009, cant seem to find it, as i have kis2009 myself. anyway urgent help needed thanks!!!

Technotiger 19:10 02 Jun 09

For a start he should download and run click here

T I M B O 19:29 02 Jun 09

or try >>>> click here

tullie 20:31 02 Jun 09

He has antivirus installed hasent he?

T I M B O 20:37 02 Jun 09

Good question Tullie.

You can use this av>>>> click here

It's what i use and works very well.

Best of luck !!!

birdface 20:59 02 Jun 09

You will find that you need more than Kaspersky.The first two click here's should maybe be downloaded updated and run.You may get away with just running the one.But both should be saved for future scanning.
Unfortunately there is no guarantee that running them will not damage any files.But doing nothing will. Make sure he downloads the free version of malwarebytes updates it and runs it.

Best bet would maybe go to the Malware Removal Forum and follow the instructions that you get there it will take a couple of days for them to contact you as they are always busy.

T I M B O 21:06 02 Jun 09

Great advise buteman, i use malwarebytes and it works great. Would u normally run without internet connection just so as the buddies dont dial home ?

birdface 22:46 02 Jun 09

They say it is always better to run it in safe mode if you think that you have problems.I don't have any problems so just run it in normal mode.But like you say a very good program.

ztronicsalien 07:23 03 Jun 09

I think some serious problem has encountered your brother's laptop. You should try a good antivirus I would say try few of these - AVG, NOD. You can download these free from net.
As far as data recovery is concerned you should contact a good data recovery professional.

reference:
Service.Ztronics.com

tullie 08:46 03 Jun 09

He can save his data before doing anything else,no need for professional help at this time,unless you know a cheap professional of course?

julius44 17:06 03 Jun 09

hello all, continuing from the virus that my brother said woz on his laptop from yesterday, there were loadz of people on here that recommended super antispyware, and he did try and use this but he said when it scanned this laptop, it identified the nasties, when he woz asked to restart the problem woz still there. should he have tried in safe mode, and disconnected his internet?? Also i use kis 2009..which i think is superb, and ive emailed him the link that he can get the trial version for 30 days(kaspersky), so i want him to try this when he gets home instead...with kaspersky can he just scan in normal mode, or in safe mode, and also should he disconnect from the internet when he's using the kaspersky to scan his laptop please??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos