Help required choosing back up software

mart7 14:49 16 Feb 14
Answered

This has probably been covered many times and something ive never really looked at,preferring instead to back photos and music up to dvd discs but now id like to try the sofware that is mentioned on here frequently,so i would appreciate any help and recommendations to what you think the best and easiest software to use for windows 7 back ups

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 16 Feb 14

w7 has its own back up software.

however my choice is to back up important data immediately and image the drive weekly to an external drive. As I have an old system I use Acronis 2009 (no good for windows 8)

the best free version to image drives is Marcium reflect

john bunyan 15:35 16 Feb 14

I find it quicker to partition my main drive, to put all self generated data in a master folder (eg My Documents"), with all the usual sub folders - word, music etc on a second partition. Then I use Acronis True Image for the OS partition (Will try Marcium soon on another PC). For the data partition I use Freefilesynch or Synch toy, as a mirror copy of the data. The advantage is that once you have made on copy (takes quite a while with, say 60 gig or so) then daily or weekly updates are very quick as only changed, deleted or added files are affected and my updates done in this way take less than a minute, whereas Acronis takes, say, 40 minute4s followed by about 30 minutes to "verify". As you know, normal copying does not work for programme files so Acronis or Marcium are needed. The Windows7 own back up, I find, is vey cumbersome. Watch out for unwanted toolbars etc with Freefilesynch, depending where you get it from.

john bunyan 15:38 16 Feb 14

Try here:

Freefilesynch

mart7 10:31 17 Feb 14

Anyone else?

compumac 12:06 17 Feb 14

I use Acronis for O/S image backups, Acronis Non Stop for data backups along with Allway Sync for data backups as well as by Windows 7 Data backup. - i.e. three separate modes for data. Acronis images are then copied to yet another external drive.

Remember to save any backups/images on a separate PHYSICAL drive to the source drive.

mart7 13:25 17 Feb 14

Thanks for replys i think ill try the free macrium reflect,if im correct it backs up the entire drive which is what im looking for a single program to image the drive,i presume the data's compressed? Ill back up to a spare 1tb external drive

mart7 13:28 17 Feb 14

Jock1e ill bookmark that site in your link looks good thx

mart7 14:56 18 Feb 14
Answer

opted for macrium reflect free looks simple and serves my needs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…