Help required!!!!

barnettjacob 12:05 23 May 06

Hoping someone can offer some advice on the problem I am having!

Bought new Motherboard (ASRock 939 Dual SATA2), CPU (AMD 64 3000 Venice), RAM (Corsair Value Select 1 Gig Match pair) and HDD (Maxtor SATA 2 250GB).

After installing the CPU/Heatsink I connected everything together on my desk just to make sure it was working and it booted no problems. The Windows installation automatically started however I hadn’t plugged the keyboard in so had to power down when it prompted me to select an option.

As I had the power off I took the opportunity to put everything together in the case however once I had done that I could not get the damn thing to reboot!!! The CPU fan starts up and the Hard drive seems to kick into action although when the CD Drive is connected via IDE it wont even power up (if I unplug IDE it magically starts).
I get no video output whatsoever

I have swapped in and out most of the components including re trying the set-up with my old Mobo/CPU and everything else seems to work fine. Therefore the problem must be with the motherboard or the processor.

I did have a little bit of trouble getting the heatsink on so it has crossed my mind that perhaps I damaged the thermal pad (was stock heatsink – not sure how robust the thermal pad is, heatsink did slide around a bit) – is it possible to kill the CPU in such a short space of time? Would it just auto shut off?

I just don’t understand why it would work in the way it did and then suddenly not work.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Giggle n' Bits 12:17 23 May 06

then it would shut down in a matter or seconds. Did you let the comoponents Cool down before rebuilding in a case ? if you didn't then you may have cracked or shorted the the Motherboard.

barnettjacob 12:23 23 May 06

Would there be any visual signs of this?

vinnyT 12:23 23 May 06

Yes, it's possible to fry the cpu in such a short space of time (nanosecounds, in pc palence).

But it is poss the the mobo is shorting out on something, usually one of the spacers has been mis-aligned (or left out altogether) and the soldered bits (even just one) are touching bare metal (your case) thereby causing the short.

At this stage, i would uninstall everything from the case and set it up as it was before, on your desk, and see if it works. If it does, at least you will have proved that the setup still works, if it dosn't..oh dear.

Hope this helps.

vinnyT 12:24 23 May 06

Ps, if you have/had blown the cpu, there is normally a smell of burnt rubber/silicom.

gudgulf 12:25 23 May 06

First of all check that nothing is damaged by trying your new setup outside the case again.If it powers up again great....if not have a good look at the cpu and check for any damaged/bent pins.A very easy thing to do when fitting the heatsink particularly if it was hard to fit....don't mean an insult here but are you sure the cpu was orientated correctly when trying to fit the heatsink?

If it checks out ok...

..check that you have all the motherboard risers in the correct place for the new motherboard when you refit it in the case.It's very easy to cause a short circuit with a stray riser.

Check and double check the front panel power/speaker/usb connections are correct.

Power on and see what happens this time.

barnettjacob 12:25 23 May 06

Thanks for this. Have re tried it back on the desk and get nothing!

barnettjacob 12:28 23 May 06

Worryingly there was briefly a slight smell!

vinnyT 12:42 23 May 06

Can you try the old cpu in the new mobo or vice/versa this may tell you if either the cpu or mobo has been damaged (or worse, that both have, unfortunately this is the most likely).

barnettjacob 12:53 23 May 06

Unfortunately the old mobo is for an old Athlon XP2200+ so this one wouldnt fit.

gudgulf 12:55 23 May 06

The modern ATHLON64 cpus have a thermal cutout...just like a P4 and so shouldn't burn out like the old Athlon processors used to.Less than perfect contact with the heatsink is not likely to have caused heat damage to your cpu.

Far more likey is a bent/damaged pin or cracked circuit board...either within the cpu itself or on the motherboard.

Try vinnyT's suggestion and try the cpu in another board and/or a different cpu in the new board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…