Help requested in using TCPView

JCT 16:53 09 Dec 03

For some time I’ve had my Dial-Up Connector popping up on first startup of the day, and at other random intervals. I’ve checked all the likely programs that might be launching this, and can’t identify the culprit.

I installed TCPView which “will show you detailed listings of all TCP and UDP endpoints on your system, including the owning process name, remote address and state of TCP connections”. I hoped this would actually tell me the name of the program involved, but it won’t do so in Windows 98SE. Unfortunately it just comes up with characters I can’t make sense of, like and 99r5d3:3363.
When I click on ‘resolve addresses’ it comes up with a string of numbers, eg

Can anyone please tell me how I find out from this sort of information what the actual program is?

pc moron 16:57 09 Dec 03

Right click on the connection and select "Process Properties" and see what it says.

alcudia 17:00 09 Dec 03

I don't know if it will help. I used to get this every time I booted up (twice), when I accessed device manager, opened media player and even with Paint Shop Pro's help file. Never did find out what it was for certain, but I always blamed Norton, simply because Symantec admitted that their software "could" affect some systems this way. Never cured it. Only stopped when I changed hard drives and installed XP. I hope you have better luck, it was a real pain in the neck.

Diodorus Siculus 17:01 09 Dec 03

Do you have a firewall installed as that should tell you the program that is seeking access to the net?

For what it's worth, is your own PC.

Gaz 25 17:13 09 Dec 03

Its Norton mate.

JCT 15:56 09 Jan 04

Thanks for the advice, guys. After a bit of faffing around, I was convinced Norton wasn't guilty. I downloaded WinPatrol startup monitor, and used it to identify all active tasks both with and without the dial-up connector being present. This let me identify that the culprit was my popup stopper which, by default, set itself to automatically check for updates.

I quite like WinPatrol and would recommend it to anyone who wants to monitor their startup programs etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…