HELP req for corrupt 80GB Maxtor Firewire HDD

snisuoc 22:13 22 Feb 04

I have a firewire 120gb Maxtor external hard drive which has become corrupted. I can see the drive, but is says that some form of corruption has taken place. The error is as follows:

H:\ is not accessible

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

It was originally named:

Maxtor Drive 3

It is now being recognised as:

Local Disk (H)

There is over 7gb of data – my life’s work – I’m a school teacher! I normally have a back up, but for reasons I won’t bore you with, I don’t have a backup of the data in the same directories and file structure.

I am enquiring to see if there is any software or a good company out there that can retrieve this data in its original file type and directory structure.

It is essential that I retrieve the data in their original directories, with the same files names (some are quite long) and their native extensions, which are as follows:

MW Word
MS Excel
MS PowerPoint
MS Outlook
mpeg files
1000’s of jpeg images
etc.

Please advise on what package, if any, you have that could enable me to retrieve this data in its original form.

Thanks

Stuart Cousins
[email protected]

howard60 22:17 22 Feb 04

if you are running XP or ME you could try system restore to go back and see if the system can then read the drive.

Chegs ® 22:21 22 Feb 04

I have tried with PC Inspector/Partition Magic(it has a partition recovery tool)and UltimateBootCD's recovery tools to recover data from a miss-behaving Maxtor hdd(it had over 42Gb's of files and data on it)without success.In my case,all I had done was deleted the original partitions as it refused to boot(RAID setup)without recreating the RAID set.Although,I got an newsletter where a puters HDD had been formatted over and over,yet the owner claimed he had recovered ALL his files going back to Win 95!

huddy1710 22:33 22 Feb 04

go to command prompt type h:
then type ckhdsk /f this will fix errors on the drive..assuming u are running win xp.. if u still have prob a good prog for recovering files is at
click here..
good luck

snisuoc 20:37 23 Feb 04

What a fantastic piece of kit! It has got back all 17GB of data in its original directory structure. AWESOME. The best $39 I have ever spent!

I was being quoted over £300 to send the drive away for help and no guarantee they could retrieve the data. What a life saver!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…