Help req. with computer website...

Gaz 25 17:00 19 May 04

Ok, theres no issues with the site as I know of anyway.

Im not really here to ask you to review the website as such, but more to ask help in getting content on.

If you are willing please take a look at the site, and if yuo wish send me some content that I could add. If you wish I could print written by your name here>.

I just havent got the time to write the content myself, although I am writing how to protect yuor computer guide for it at the moment, can any one else do pictures, steps or anything on things like upgrading memory, installing windows, etc.? Help is really kind of you.

You may also send me links of websites for the links section.

I am adding a forum for this optimax soon too.

Here is the link: click here

Thank you once again, if you wish to send content, e-mail me by clicking the envelope by my name and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Gaz 25 20:12 19 May 04

umm, well there is too different contexts.

Optimax fuel, yes.

Optimax Computer optimisation. Shouldnt be any problems there, since Im not naming a product.

Gaz 25 20:13 19 May 04

and to be honest, ive had that website ages. Infact well before shell.

And you may ask any other forum member that may remember.

Sir Radfordin 23:21 19 May 04

I would be surprised to find you have been using Optimax before Shell's use but at the same time there is fairly widespread use of the word so that would indicate you are safe in using it in this context.

The fact you can't provide the content to a site does however raise the question 'why bother'. Why not write one good tutorial on using Google to find an answer and be done with it. No point re-inventing the wheel without a specific purpose.

Taran 23:44 19 May 04

Shell have had their main site since the late eighties.

Their Optimax product may be a fairly recent addition to their product range but the name has been in commercial use by several other companies in different fields (lazer eye surgery, publishing/web design, speedboat race engines etc) for some years.

Tread carefully is all I'm saying.

Now, requesting content is a novel idea but does raise certain questions and is unlikely to have people beating a path to your door with a million and one articles under their arms. There are all kinds of possible issues about intellectual rights of submitted material, accuracy of submitted material and all sorts of other things.

If you don't want to write the content yourself are you going to spend the time to verify the accuracy of the content, should you receive any ?

If not, are you going to have a good disclaimer written up to help protect you against any comeback ?

You have to remember that the web is a publishing medium and as such it has a whole raft of possible pitfalls.

So, why not consider alternatives ?

Many sites, including some very good technical sites, offer their content as RSS feeds.

What about including Slashdot for current IT news, trends and whatnot ?

There is more information on the Slashdot site than any of us could hope to emulate on one of our own sites.

There are others but that should at least get you thinking about alternatives.

Gaz 25 09:01 20 May 04

Thanks for all the information.

I am going to add a disclaimer for the content, since I understand that if one of the methods fail then it could cause data loss, etc.

I am really busy with work, so its hard to keep sites updated.

I will just work on the content my own, as soon as possible.

I should be ok with the name Optimax, if not I will remove it as soon as possible.

Taran 09:58 20 May 04

That's the reason why we aren't all hammering on your door with site content for you.

We're all in the same boat.

rwarrender 10:25 20 May 04

You haven't bought a domain name so a name change should be fairly easy to do. How about HardFix? - "Fix your hardware and optimize". A quick search in google shows that no other site has used this name. I know it sounds bad but its a start!

The first thing you need to keep in mind if you'd like your website to be popular is "what makes my site unique?" Is it the easy language? The comunity? The bannerless, adfree webspace?

The second thing is content! I know you don't have time because of work. Try finding similar websites and email them to see if they'd like you to host some articles or partner up. Maybe post some threads in a PC DIY forum asking members to help you out?!

If you post in a PC DIY forum, don't say "I just havent got the time to write the content myself" but something like "I'm slowly adding articles myself but could do with some help from seasoned veterans... speed up the process..."

I hope this helps,

From Richard

Gaz 25 12:47 20 May 04

the only thing is HardFix sounds a bit like a drug company. lol.

Anyway, I will do as you suggested Richard.

The site I think is good becuase it contains no adverts, and I will be adding a forum soon. So it should be quite an informative place for general computer repairs, tune ups, fixes etc.

Gaz 25 12:54 20 May 04

What about OptiMaximise? lol

Taran 13:47 20 May 04

MaxiOptimise ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…