Help in replacing hard drive due to drive failing

Roadgiant 20:35 14 Dec 05

I am trying to find the best guide to installng a new drive and reinstalling XP on it, people say it is easy so would like to give it a try,6 months ago I had a brand new Maxtor harddrive fitted by a friend (who I am unable to currently get hold off)

The new drive is now failing, I have run a test using Maxblast and have been in contact with the company I purchased it from who will replace it.

I won't have the old drive here when I fit the new drive so everything will have to be done from scratch.
I have a Windows XP disc as well as SP2 disc and all the drivers and software discs needed and am in the process of backing up documents and e-mail etc.
The new drive,like the old will be a 200gb 133/7200 8mb Maxtor D/max 10 (the original was a +9 but i believe it has been replaced by a +10).My friend partioned the original new drive into 2 partitions 100gb and 72gb and I would like to repeat this.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good easy to follow guide to the above.
Thanks in advance RG

Totally-braindead 20:40 14 Dec 05
  Totally-braindead 20:45 14 Dec 05

click here or click here or click here third link appears to the best of the three but I haven't read them all.

007al 20:53 14 Dec 05

I`ve had two Maxtor +9`s fail earlier this year.
One sounded like a rustling crisp packet before it died and the other made a grinding noise from the day i fitted it!
Although,i have a freind who swears by them.

Roadgiant 07:13 24 Dec 05

Thanks for the suggested links for help,I found them very usefull.New H/drive (Maxtor +10) now instaled and working.
RG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…