Help to remove Police Virus in XP Home SP3 please

Audio~~Chip 09:34 AM 27 Jun 13

My older Desktop which my son uses seems to be infected with what he says is the police virus.

I have tried to boot to the main account user in safe mode which when gets to the desktop shuts down. I boot normally to the desktop and its a white screen.

The only account I can boot to is to the Administrator in Safe Mode, if I run superantispyware portable in the administrator account will this attack it and shut it down ?

Thanks in advance

Graphicool1 10:02 AM 27 Jun 13

Hi Audio~~Chip

This any good...CLICK HERE for a walkthrough

proudfoot 12:51 PM 27 Jun 13

The easiest way to remove a stubborn virus is to make regular backups to an external HD say every week or month depending how often you add or remove programs etc and then recover from the latest good one. There are plenty of free backup programs available.

Audio~~Chip 23:48 PM 27 Jun 13

This afternoon I tried every step without sucess following Grahicool1 link. The media.exe sting was not in the Modify box of the Registry editor nor under any entry. I tried the KIS Rescue disk v10 and this wouldn't run then I tried a ISO via a memory stick and still would not run to be able to control it nor get past the Licence agreement screen.

I will try Jock1e idea tomorrow.

Thanks so far.

Cheers Steven

chrissy1 01:30 AM 28 Jun 13

This happened to me not too long ago. I finally took it for repair at local shop. I was on Vista but they got rid of the virus for me and put Windows 7 on for me too which is better than Vista i think....Cost me £40 though.

Audio~~Chip 15:36 PM 28 Jun 13

Superanti spyware, Malwarebytes and system restore would not work. You can not remove a virus using system restore as the infection will stay in the registry. Unless you replace the registry which will corrupt windows this way.

I have done a data recovery and got all the required work off safe and scanned it to be clean.

I find this virus had infected one of the older Java installs but couldn't access the known infected file.

Currently in the process of performing a factory system recovery clean installing windows now.

onthelimit1 16:00 PM 28 Jun 13

I've had a number of computers with this virus now, and the Kaspersky Rescue disc has worked every time when the BIOS was changed to boot from CD/DVD, so not sure why it wouldn't run for you.

Audio~~Chip 21:36 PM 02 Jul 13

Just one that beat me, tried everything and followed the suggestions but it just wouldn't play ball for me. Machine now clean installed with windows.

Thanks to everyone who posted in. I will keep the notes on the instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

HDR video: Everything you need to know

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know