Help With Registry Hive Problem and Data Transfer

bfoc 10:48 09 Dec 04

I have a Dell laptop, under warranty, which is producing a blue screen on startup, with a registry problem in the software hive.

Dell tech support suggested trying to repair the Windows installation after booting from the Dell CD - but that doesn't seem to work, although I can access the hard drive to run chkdsk.

They only other suggestion is to re-format and re-install BUT I have some important work I did late Tuesday and yesterday which I don't have back-ups for.

I do have a USB external hard drive and I wonder if there is some way I can get the data off my laptop before formatting it. I wondered whether it is possible to run Linux, with support for a USB external drive, from a CD for instance.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 09 Dec 04

Do NOT Format.

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

Does the DEll CD give you something like Recovery consul? start the Recovery Console, create a temporary folder, back up the existing registry files to a new location, delete the registry files at their existing location, and then copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. When you have finished this procedure, a registry is created that you can use to start Windows XP. This registry was created and saved during the initial setup of Windows XP. Therefore any changes and settings that occurred after the Setup program was finished are lost.
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.
Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder.

You can download a NTFS boot disk click here to give you acess to your files. this may also allow you to do the above aswell.

bfoc 11:20 09 Dec 04

Unfortunately the Dell CD doesn't seem to have the Recovery Console. I believe a full version of XP does.

I'll see if the boot disk helps!

bfoc 12:33 09 Dec 04

I managed to find an older version of the software reg file and have am in the process of rescuing my data.

Then I'll probably reinstall and re-build.

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…