Help with reformatting WinXP

cowgirl66 13:34 03 Sep 06

I used to use a floppy recovery disk to reinstall WindowsXP if things went wrong - until I was given 4 Master CD's, number one red, number two green,, number three purple and number four yellow by a Packard Bell engineer to reformat with. Since then I have used them once or twice but now I can't remember if I have to use the original floppy boot disk as well, if I have to turn the computer off or not before I start etc.

If anyone knows the procedure for this reformatting and which disks to use, I'd love to know!

Regards cowgirl66

Angiemaroni 13:40 03 Sep 06

Why do you have to reinstall the operating system so often?

mattyc_92 13:50 03 Sep 06

Can you explain, in detail, what these discs are (what they contain)?

cowgirl66 13:57 03 Sep 06

Yes matty, they are Packard Bell back-up CD-ROM disks, may only be used with Packard Bell computer systems, so it says on their labels. The software on the CDs was pre-installed on the hard drive at the factory. These are the disks I had from the engineer to reformat XP with when I was having trouble with the floppy boot disk and it wouldn't respond when I inserted it into the floppy drive.

mattyc_92 14:23 03 Sep 06

So are they a "spanned" backup of your factory settings of the system? (as most backups are on one CD-R)

If so, insert the FIRST disc, and it should be bootable.

cowgirl66 14:51 03 Sep 06

so I don't need the floppy? and do I insert the cd 'before' I turn on the computer or when the screen comes up saying 'searching for boot floppy...searching for cdrom....'

I know I'm making this sound difficult but I'm trying to be as brief as poss without confusing the issue.

Diodorus Siculus 15:01 03 Sep 06

It's likely you put the first disk into the machine and reboot; thenif you get an otpion to reboot with the CD, choose it.

muscic lover 15:05 03 Sep 06

Let us know what happens!..... very interested... colour coded stuff... great!

rodriguez 15:10 03 Sep 06

These discs will probably contain a copy of Windows XP along with the drivers for your machine and it also might be an automated install. Switch the PC on and open the CD drive and put the first CD in straight away. If it asks if you want to boot from the CD just press a key to boot it. It should then guide through all the setup process.

mattyc_92 15:27 03 Sep 06

You wont need the floppy disc.

Just insert the disc into the system, and restart it (if in windows). Then watch out for the "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD" message

cowgirl66 20:20 03 Sep 06

I will have to put the CD into the drive as soon as I start the computer.

I know when I normally turn the computer on a black screen appears with all the details of the system. At the bottom of this screen a sentence is waiting with a flashing cursor which says,, "Searching for floppy boot disc...not found" Then shortly after this another sentence appears, "Searching for CD ROM...not found",, and then I can sign into Windows XP.

Does this help at all?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…