Help with reconnection to broad band :BT modem

rathlogan 19:26 18 Mar 06

help: ive just taken a friends pc to clean out some nasties.. that part went fine,plus his pc works fine on my ntl connection... he has BT broadband with a 105 voyager modem... it was just about working when i took it away to sort out the trojans etc. now trying to connect back up to his internet and we can't get any connection to the internet.....tried most things ie: diconnecting cables leaving for a few minuets reconnecting etc. even rang bt with nice indian person from india helping .. who says that the cable we are running from the back of the modem to the phone socket is to far away. is this correct? it worked ok before i reinstalled .

any ideas would be much appreciated.

exasperated...

Graham ® 19:47 18 Mar 06

Is the modem attempting to sync?

recap 19:49 18 Mar 06

In moving the pc you may have dislodged the card. Check to see if the card is seated correctly.

wbiggchiefy 19:50 18 Mar 06

1 how long is the cable
2 what is O/S
3 what exactly did you do

I would bet that reinstalling the modem would work but let us see what u did first to avoid any unnecessary problems cropping up

Chiefy

rathlogan 20:09 18 Mar 06

the cable goes from downstairs in the back room ,to the from upstairs bedroom in the house. i suppose about 25 feet.. we are operating xp home edition...

and i done a safe reinsatll on the pc ,it is a hp 2.3 g with a small pation on drive d from doing asafe reinstall. plus put on adaware,and spybot which found various gremlins.. ran avg which found and killed a trojon.

the pc rang sweet as a nut on my ntl broadband connection, i had it running for two days none stop no problems emailing or surfing.

Graham ® 20:49 18 Mar 06

Is the modem attempting to sync? (data LED flashing).

Check you haven't connected the modem to the wrong socket on the filter.

rathlogan 20:52 18 Mar 06

the only light that comes on is the power light not the DSL or the other light....

rathlogan 20:53 18 Mar 06

Thanks for all your suggestions.... i will try all the suggestions
rathlogan

Graham ® 20:56 18 Mar 06

The modem is not seeing the line.

rathlogan 20:59 18 Mar 06

if thats the case, should i try plugging the modem in to the phone socket else were in the house..could the modem be ka put?

rathlogan

wbiggchiefy 21:04 18 Mar 06

25 ft should just about be OK (max recommended is 10metres I seem to remember )
Obviously you don't have the wireless option so...
try unplugging all cables & then relink prior to pc boot

I assume u have also removed & reinstalled all other filters in the house (assume you are using the filters for each phone socket in use.
(Incidebtally as you have such a space between pc and phone socket are you connecting via extension leads) - this will NOT work - I have tried it ....
The longest lead I have found for broadband routers was about 5 mtrs after that the connection apparently suffers.

Go wireless - all problems solved!

Hope this helps

Chiefy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…