Help to rebuild a Gateway PC Please

Never again 20:29 19 Nov 04

My friend has given me his old pc which is labelled as a Gateway FLEXATXSTC BRO667.

its a strange beast as it has 5 usb ports (2 on front) and 2 very small pci upgrade slots (I've never seen them this small before).

The mouse is usb, but I've not got a usb keyboard or adapter at the moment.

It was running win me, but he reports it as ravaged by a deadly virus, making it "broken".

The HDD is labelled maxor 5T020H2 with 16383 cylinders.

There is also a sticker on the rear of the case which says QC4370, although I don't know what that means. it has a serial number of 0001644196.

I've googled it for the manual, and any other info, but as gateway went bust a few years back it seems as if there is very little support anywhere.

My intention was to reformat or replace the hard drive and get it all working again with win98 or me.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I can find drivers, or even where to start or what beast I have I would be grateful.

Thanks

Completealias 20:40 19 Nov 04

If you open the case and identify motherboard make and model number then you should be able to find a manual and drivers for that, also if you have any PCI cards in the system looking for the model number on them and doing a search at say click here should provide you with the drivers for them.

Killdisk click here is a program for securely erasing HDD if it has had a virus then running this through should make sure that any nastys are gone. It can be put on a bootable floppy 2. Afterwards though you will need to use FDISK (from a win98 start up disk) to recreate a partion and then format it.

Never again 21:00 19 Nov 04

I've just tried booting it up and its gone straight into windows.

I still have no keyboard attached, but the mouse is working.

I'm tempted to leave it all as it is and just have a clean up.

I dont know what my mate was talking about specifically when he said the pc was knackered due to a virus?

Any further suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:05 19 Nov 04

Run an Antivirus on line checks:-
Panda click here
Trend Online Check click here.

To find out if it has a virus. Install a good AV software Anti Virus :-
Avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

and antispyware
Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here

Completealias 21:11 19 Nov 04

Avast is a good freeware AV prog offers mail scanning and instant message protection 2. I use it myself and adaware. You can pick up a ps2 keyboard pretty cheap try dabs.com and ebuyer.com or maplins if you've got one local 2 ya.

If theres no programs or data on there that you want then wiping and starting freash ain't always a bad thing but b4 you do that you'll need a keyboard

woodchip 21:25 19 Nov 04

This is your first port of call, for a Win98se OEM boot disc click here If you put a floppy disc in the drive and double click on the download it will create a boot floppy disc however if you do this on a XP comp the boot disc may not work. If it does type at A:\>FDISK to delete all partitions this should clear any virus on the drive, Create a new Partition, make the new partition active. Switch of the computer the switch it back on and A:\>format C: you are then ready to install Win98se with the floppy disc

woodchip 21:26 19 Nov 04

PS win98 should load some drivers

Never again 21:27 19 Nov 04

I've just bought an adapter on ebay as I have a couple of ps2 keyboards knocking about.

It seems to have a version of norton antivirus corporate edition installed so i'm running this now. - its found no virus's and has completed.

There is a bt broadband connection in dial up networking, which I am going to delete now, and set up a seperate dial up connection, but there is no modem listed in device manager - just a dial up adapter.

There is a yellow exclamation mark against other devices listed as a pci card, but as I said at the start, there are only 2 slots and they are tiny - the only space available is about a fingers height.

woodchip 21:48 19 Nov 04

The PCI cards are not PCI they are for a modem AMR or CNR Riser card but you need the correct drivers to use them also the use other communication devices you should be looking for AMR or CNR driver or such for the Port Slots plus you will get the drivers for the modem, that also need loading

Mr Mistoffelees 21:48 19 Nov 04

For more information on your pc try Gateway in the USA. They have not gone bust, just pulled out of Europe.

Never again 22:00 19 Nov 04

I am slightly confused.

Does this mean that my friend had an external modem - as bt voyager asdl modem is listed in the programs menu, and will I need one to connect the pc to the internet.

Is an external usb modem an option also?

sorry woodchip, but what is a modem AMR or CNR riser card - there is not enough room inside the case to swing a knat, let alone a cat, and the slots point towards the blanking plates in the back of the case.

I've done a belarc advisor profile if this will help and no communication devices have been detected?

Mr Mistoffelees - good suggestion, but its past my bedtime.

I'll get back to you all over the weekend.

Thanks again everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…