HELP - READ ME 1st - Freeware Problem Solvers

Pesala 07:04 07 Mar 03

These programs are regularly recommended by forum members. They can resolve many of the problems posted on this forum. No doubt other forum regulars will post their own favourite Freeware. Always check for compatibility with your Windows version before downloading. Some programs have different versions for different Operating Systems.

*** Anti-virus ***

AVG click here Excellent antivirus program with regular updates.

*** Disk Defragmenting ***

Diskeeper Lite (10,005 K) click here Defragmentation program that will run in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

*** Disk Space Usage ***

SequoiaView (554K) click here Colourful graphic display of your hard disk space usage, helps you quickly locate the folders or folders that are taking up the most space.

*** Graphics Viewing and Conversion ***

Irfan View (822 K + 3.4 Mbytes for plug-ins) click here This tiny graphics viewer on steroids does most common tasks faster than bloated Photo-editors. Scan, crop, flip, rotate, convert, resize, recolour, and special effects. No paint, clone, or mask tools though.

*** System Tools ***

Ad-aware (1,504 K) click here Removes spyware and data-mining programs.

Aida (1,793 K) click here System information

Belarc Advisor (609 K) click here System information

Motherboard Monitor (1,736 K) click here Monitors temperatures etc.

SiSoft Sandra (2,880 K) click here More detailed system information

*** File Compression ***

Zip Central (845 K) click here Free zip archiver

*** Font Tools ***

The Font Thing (483 K) click here Font Manager

Babel Map (347 K + 289 K help) click here Unicode character map

Truetype Explorer (1,616 K) click here Powerful Font Viewer

*** Other Freeware ***

Audacity (1,297 K + 373 K MP3 encoder) click here Sound-recorder, MP3 Editor

Open Office (50,816 K) click here Microsoft Office replacement

Opera (3,328 K + 9,705 Java) click here Fast Browser with integrated email

Office 07:47 07 Mar 03

Thanks for that. Nice one.

Pesala 10:44 07 Mar 03

The Portable Document format was developed by Adobe. PDF files can preserve page layout, fonts, and graphcs as the designer originally intended. They are often used to distribute documentation. To read them you need Adobe Acrobat Reader (about 8Mbytes), which can be dowloaded from
click here

Pesala 13:43 07 Mar 03

Sygate (5,161 K) click here

Zone Alarm (3,633 K) click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:52 07 Mar 03
  Djohn 14:12 07 Mar 03

Pesala, I know that your intentions are well meant, but this is the fourth reminder this week.

As GANDALF <|:-)> points out, PCA themselves already have these links/reminders.

I also know that some forum users get a tad annoyed now and then, when non-descriptive titles are used, but we all need to remember that a lot of people that come here for help, do so because they are at their wits end and need help.

They don't know what the problem is, if they did, then they would go straight to the appropriate link to solve their problem.

I don't mind how they ask or describe their problem, if I know the answer, or know where to find same then I will post a reply, or two, or ten if it helps the person that is in trouble. Regards. J.

hgrock 15:33 07 Mar 03

I think the above links is a great idea, but members should still still ask questions, others read the reply

I think the above links is a great idea, but members should still still ask questions, others read the reply

hgrock 15:37 07 Mar 03

what is happening here, my reply went through more than once, sorry folks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…