HELP - READ ME 1st - Freeware Problem Solvers

Pesala 17:23 06 Apr 04

Apologies for posting again. People are refreshing out-of-date threads. Checked all links 6/4/2004

These programs can resolve many problems. Check for compatibility with your Windows version before downloading.

DISCLAIMER: Always make backups and set a restore point before installing new software. No guarantee is implied by inclusion on this list. PC Advisor is not responsible for the selection, which is my own.

*** Anti-virus / Privacy/ Security ***

Ad-aware (1,504 K) click here Removes spyware and data-mining programs.

AVG click here Excellent antivirus program with regular updates.

AVAST (6.4 Mbyte) click here Free antivirus

Spybot S&D 1.2 (3,577 K) click here Removes spyware from your system

Sygate (5,161 K) Firewall click here

Zone Alarm (3,633 K) click here

*** Font Tools ***

The Font Thing (483 K) click here Font Manager

Babel Map (347 K + 289 K help) click here Unicode character map

Fix Font Folder (344 K) click here Fix Fonts Folder locates and fixes font related problems.

Letter Database (Characterset Information) click here

*** Graphics Viewing and Conversion ***

Irfan View 3.85 (855 K + 4.2 Mbytes for plug-ins) click here Scan, crop, flip, rotate, convert, resize, recolour, and special effects, slideshows, html thumbnail galleries, batch conversion and renaming. No paint, clone, or mask tools, for which try Serif PhotoPlus.

IrfanView Help: click here

Serif DrawPlus 4.0 (7,332 K) click here Vector Drawing and Animation (PhotoPlus 5.5, PagePlus 5.0, WebPlus 6.0 also free)

*** System Tools ***

Aida (New version 1,851 K) click here System information

Audacity (1,297 K + 373 K MP3 encoder) click here Sound-recorder, MP3 Editor

Atomic Clock Sync (484 K) click here

Belarc Advisor (609 K) click here System information

Bios Agent (228 K) click here Identify your BIOS and other system information.

Chainsaw (104 K) click here Splits large files for easier transfer and recombines them with a batch file.

Directory Printer (925 K) click here (Also requires VBRUN300.DLL (1.2 Mb) which you may already have in your Windows\System directory).

Diskeeper Lite (10,005 K) click here Defragmentation program that runs in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

DupeLocator (180 K) click here Finds duplicated files by comparing bytes, ignoring names and dates.

Eraser (2,746 K) click here Prevents recovery of deleted files.

FTP Commander 7.20 (586K) click here

Monitor Tests: Display Calibration click here Screen Calibration click here (from Huggyg71)

Motherboard Monitor (1,736 K) click here Monitors temperatures etc.

Note Tab Lite (1,796 K) click here Powerful Notepad replacement with spell-check, autocorrect, etc. (Direct D/L)

Properties Plus (281 K) click here Time/Datestamp editor XP compatible

SiSoft Sandra (2,880 K) click here More detailed system information

Sizer (73 K) click here Window resizer for website testing

Tclock (190 K) click here Enhanced Windows clock and calendar. Simple and neat.

Tiny Spell (547K) click here Freeware spell checker

Tweak UI (111 K) click here Adjust Windows Interface settings

Tweak UI 1.33 (11 3K) click here Some additional tools from Microsoft Developers

Wordweb click here (5.2 Mb) Free Dictionary/Thesaurus

Zip Central (845 K) click here Free zip archiver

*** PC Advisor Links ***

More Software Here click here

And Downloads Here click here

Pesala 17:30 06 Apr 04

Computers can often turn out to be disappointing, and suppliers are not always as helpful as we would like, but it doesn't help to get angry, least of all with the people you are asking for help.

Consumer related issues should be posted in the Consumer Watch forum, rather than the Help forum. If you type in CAPITAL LETTERS it is like shouting, and your post may well be ignored by would-be helpers. At best they will be less inclined to help you.

Do not urge anyone not to buy from company XYZ. PC Advisor could face legal action if they do not remove your post immediately: click here to read the Site Policy.

Pesala 17:31 06 Apr 04

It is always nice to know if a solution worked for you, and which one you thought was best. After replying, you should also tick the checkbox and click on resolved button so that people don't need to check that thread again. You cannot do both of these together, but you can do them in any order. After checking the resolved box, you will no longer receive email notification if someone replies again to your question.

Pesala 20:05 06 Apr 04

Mail Washer (1,444 K) click here Spam-blocker

Now added to my list. I haven't used it myself, but lots of people do use it and recommend it.

@jc 20:21 06 Apr 04

Excellent post

spuds 20:27 06 Apr 04

Did you stop up all night to write that lot! (;o)

Good to see this type of help, always welcome.Thanks.

rawprawn 21:35 06 Apr 04

Bump

Pesala 22:25 06 Apr 04

I just keep a notepad file, and edit it when I spot something new. I also now know that it is getting close to 800 words.

swapper 22:46 06 Apr 04

Nice thread...again :-)

lamda 11:46 07 Apr 04

into my postings

Pesala 22:03 08 Apr 04

All links checked on 6th April 2004. All other threads are out-of-date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…