Help re Primary IDE Contoller

Mr Tibbs 22:33 06 May 03

I have put a different hard drive in what was our first computer so I can give it to one of our friends. I formated the disk and put our old Windows ME on it but now when I go to Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the Primary IDE controller(dual fifo). When I go to properties the Device Status states 'this device is either not present, not working properly or does not have the drivers instaled'. In drivers it states the driver is from microsoft.
Before I give this computer away I'd like to know how much of a problem this is, will it cause problems when using the computer and what can I do about it. I've tried reinstalling windows but that hasn't helped. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

hugh-265156 22:43 06 May 03

try windows update click here

AndySD 22:49 06 May 03

It may be you need to load the motherboard chipset drivers. If you know the make/model of the motherboard post it here and we can look for you. If not try Belarc Advisor click here

Legolas 23:34 06 May 03

You could try removing the IDE controller and then when you reboot windows will detect the IDE controller and reinstall.

Mr Tibbs 14:40 07 May 03

Thanks. I've tried removing the controllers but when I reboot they are reinstalled as before. The motherboard is a MSI MS6156 ver1.0BX7 with a intel 82443BX/PIIX4E chipset. Does anyone know where I can get the drivers from to give that a go. Cheers.

Legolas 16:31 07 May 03

Have a look here one of these might drivers might help
click here

BRYNIT 16:46 07 May 03

Go into Bios and check HD settings. If you had two HD on this computer it may be looking for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…