Help re-connecting to Broadband after NIC instal

Roadgiant 22:11 27 May 05

I have 2 Pcs at home the main one (mine) connects to NTL broadband via a USB Modem, the other Pc (my sons) used to connect to the net via a x-over cable to the NIC on my Pc (the host). A few months ago the built in NIC connection on my host computer stopped working. I have obtained and installed an internal NIC in my pc as well as tying to use an external USB to Ethernet adaptor. After installing both devices (on separate occasions) the host computer does not connect to the net coming up with the message:- "(my home page) could not be found. Please check the name and try again". Checking network connections (on the USB Modem) says it is connectied. The only way I can reconnect to the net is removing and doing a system restore to before I installed either of the NIC connections. It is as if installing either of the NIC options is stopping my broadband connecting even though evrything says it is working. Any help in resolving this would be much appreciated, thanks in advance RG

LastChip 19:19 29 May 05

Roadgiant 21:00 29 May 05

Win XP Home Amd 2400 512mb ram

LastChip 21:23 29 May 05

Go to Start; Run; and type the command;

cmd [ok]

This will open up a command shell. Now type the command;

ipconfig /release [enter]

ipconfig /renew [enter]

and see if that improves the situation.

If not, using the command line again, type the command;

ipconfig /flushdns [enter]

ipconfig /registerdns [enter]

and see if that works.

Roadgiant 21:28 29 May 05

Thanks for that, I will give it a try in the morning and let you know how it goes RG

Roadgiant 12:27 30 May 05

Gave it a try this morning, assume I had to type the commands in after :-
C:\Documents and settings\(MY NAME)>
after each entry Zone alarm asked me if it could connect to the Internet, to which I answered yes then the following message cappeared :-

"Windows IP Configuration
An internal error occured: The system cannot find the file specified.
Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.
Additional information: Unable to retrieve DHCP parameters.

Thanks once again for the help RG

LastChip 21:42 30 May 05

Did you select the "enter" key after each command?

For example, the first command is;

ipconfig /release

and then you press the enter key.

It is also worth noting the space between ipconfig and the /

I'm just trying to make sure you had the syntax correct.

If you're happy all the above is correct, try the command;

ipconfig /all

and then press the enter key. You should be presented with data regarding your configuration.

Roadgiant 08:19 02 Jun 05

Thanks for the help so far,please excuse me for not coming back on this one, but my h/drive appears to be about to fail!
Hopefully back working normally next week and would certainly assistance then in rectifying this problem.RG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…