help re bios

blueboy2uk 22:20 28 Apr 05

hi there i have just upgraded my bios, not out of choiceb i am installing a new cpu, the old one a celeron was find with the v1.90 bios but the p4 2800 needs v2.40 i checked in the bios details but there is not a heading to enable hyper threading , some one said that will only appear when i install the new cpu is this correct? also will i need to change any other settings in the bios to get the best out of the new cpu i wanted to get a faster chip but me mother board will not support any thing bigger, so i think the new chip will be a lot better than the celeron anyway any thoughts on that you guys are the experts after all and i allways value your input, will my xp pro run faster whin i put in the new chip? i was going to go back to windows 2000 because i found it faster on my setup i am not a big gamer but like the odd session but some of the new games run slow, i have one gig of memory installed c media sound card and a ati graphics card and now i dont think its worth spending any more on this computer as the prices have really come down on new one you have to draw the line somewhere dont you.

many thanks guys in advance

blueboy

User-312386 22:23 28 Apr 05

could we have the mobo model and number please

woodchip 22:28 28 Apr 05

Putting a P4 in will not load Software. That is what BIOS is Programs linked together. So do not expect to find hyper threading, as you will be disappointed

blueboy2uk 22:29 28 Apr 05

its a asrock M266A .3.0x

gudgulf 22:30 28 Apr 05

To answer your questions.....Yes the hyperthreading control will only show up with a hyperthreading cpu installed and ANY p4 cpu will make your celeron look like a tortoise with arthritis when it comes to speed! Window XP pro will run much better with a 2.8GHz hyperthreading P4 especially with 1gig of ram on board.....trust me I've got the same setup.

blueboy2uk 22:31 28 Apr 05

according to the mb site this board does support hyper threading

blueboy2uk 22:33 28 Apr 05

sorry about repeats hayfeaver cant stop sneezing

gudgulf 22:39 28 Apr 05

Is this your motherboard? click here If so you will be fine with hyperthreading but make sure you go for a 533FSB cpu.

blueboy2uk 22:47 28 Apr 05

yes thats the one i have the cpu is P4 2.8 ghz 533 mhz system bus, 1mb L2 advanced transfer chache, and all the other bits.

thank you very much for your help everyone.

blueboy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…