help for protected vhs

andje71 14:36 PM 21 Oct 12

I have some store-bought VHS tapes that are taking up space that I'd like to convert to DVD and DVR (cable box) to DVD . Some or all of them are undoubtedly copy-protected. I intend to keep the tapes as long as I have the copies, but I want to put them in storage. If not, is there another way to do this?

lotvic 15:20 PM 21 Oct 12

Easiest way is to use a DVD Recorder and VCR combo. You can play the tape and record it to dvd.

Or maybe hook up video player to pc and record to harddrive. Can't guide you on the specifics of that as to best software to use, but others will prob post with suggestions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:57 PM 21 Oct 12

Most VHS films are protected with the Macrovision copy protection system,

If your player would "let you" copy it, the colours would be distorted and wavy lines would show on the video.

Devices exist (available on the web at some electronics stores) which can "stabilize" the video so it can be copied.

You can try VHS scart to TV then TV out to PC or DVD recorder this is usually better than VHS direct to DVD recorder.

andje71 08:59 AM 26 Oct 12

You will need a DVD Recorder, and, Grex to transfer your VHS media to DVD.The copy protection I speak of is the macrovision that is causing you not to be able to get good copies of the VCR tapes.I bought a GREX (macrovision remover) for the same purpose

Samilabing 08:36 AM 31 Oct 12

Duplicate File Finder will find and delete duplicate files so you won't experience lack of free disk space! Obviously you can find your duplicate file from your PC. For this just need to download “Duplicate Files Deleter” . It may be able to find this file from your hard drive.

lotvic 13:37 PM 31 Oct 12

andje71 and Samilabing are SPAMMERS. Ignore their posts. In fact ignore the thread.

Note how andje71 posts his question then answers it (he forgot to change persona for this one.. he usually posts a response under a different username)

Samilabing is a new spammer - has only one post in forums so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know